Import Users

18 years 3 months ago #3375 by omegix
Import Users was created by omegix
I need a way to take my already existing database tables (from a non-joomla\mambo project) and import the field values into the tables created with Community Builder.

Example:
I have a mySQL database table and alongside of username and password I also have "yeargraduated" .

Now I need to figure out how to not only get the account imported into joomla/CB, but also retain the information in the "yeargraduated" field.

An import feature like this would be mighty helpful.

Post edited by: omegix, at: 2006/01/10 00:12

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 weeks ago #9191 by trevor.bennett
Replied by trevor.bennett on topic Re:Import Users
Hi! I have used the (m*mbo) component com_importusers
see forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,1015.0.html for discussions. I modded this to add additional fields at the same time eg postcode as password, all in another postal mail-out database. This is of course using standard mod_login basic fields, and deals with jos_core_acl_aro and jos_core_acl_groups_aro_map tables as well.

I am shortly going to use a series of passes to add much more data from the same database to CB, by
1. exporting the jos_users id and username having had mambo/joomla allocate the id
2. join the id to the external database by username
3. insert the additional data to CB fields, using perhaps MaxDB or writing INSERT statements using a reportwriter in external database. I will report back on success / problems!
Trevor

18 years 3 weeks ago #9192 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Import Users
There is a alpha version of an import component for CB available, and also detailed instructions on how to add users manually. Just search import in the forums.

mikko

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn