What forum software actually works as of 1/13/06?

18 years 3 months ago #3754 by Raj
From reading various threads, it appears that there is, as yet, no vBulletin integration with CB, no PHPBB integration, and no SMF integration.

So it would appear that the only forum integrated with CB is this one, Joomlaboard.

Yes?

Roger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #3758 by dsendecki
I'm holding out for vBridge, although there's no timeframe for a CB version.

Seeing how well joomlaboard has performed here on joomlapolis has me considering it, however.

In short, I think you're right -- they all have their problems.

18 years 3 months ago #3760 by Raj
Unfortunately, there are no skins available for Joomlaboard, at least not from the two shoes site. In contrast, PHPBB has incredible skins.

What about this...there's a tool to synchronize Joomla and CB, right? So I run PHPBB, which integrates with Joomla, then run the sync tool everyday, that at least means that my users won't have to register once for CB and again for the bulletin board, right?

Of course, they wouldn't have the feature of clicking a user's avatar and going right to their CB profile. :(

Roger

18 years 3 months ago #3761 by Raj
Another possibility is to use Joomlaboard now and then convert Joomlaboard to PHPBB or vBulletin when the bridge arrives.

Has anyone attempted such a conversion? I just don't want to get locked into Joomlaboard. I'd rather postpone having a forum than get locked in.

This is a huge problem.

Roger

18 years 3 months ago #3763 by rick
It has been a huge problem for a very long time and there seems to be few long term solutions. Even when you get everything working together, even without full CB integration, and an update comes out it all goes to hell in a hand basket. God forbid there be upgrades to 2 or 3 of the affected components all at once.

This is why I feel so strongly about some kind of a Login / Registration / Synchronization plugin system to pull all of this together. See my post which to date still has no response:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,11/id,3245#3245/

Without this framework / functionality Joomla will continue to have huge problems in this area. The main purpose of CB is to help build communities and it still amazes me that the one major component that brings more people together is forum software. Others are things like photo galleries, Blogs, etc. etc. and yet the major problem that runs through all of this is the login, registration, synchronization issues. This really needs to be dealt with.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 3 months ago #3766 by Raj
Rick...I read the link you provided and you are so right...it's become a nightmare with no solution. What's needed is a plug in that auto-syncs everything.

Roger

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn