com_connector support

18 years 1 month ago #5228 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:com_connector support
Hey man -- I agree with you, but what Rick is saying is that the guy who up to this point has been working on the com_connector has no need for a fully integrated solution. He's happy to use the mod_login module and forego the CB workflow.

Now -- I realize he's coding for his own needs and is kind enough to share his code with the public, but what it all adds up to is the ability to use VB only if you want to use a castrated community builder.

I want the best of all worlds!

So -- as it stands, we've got a choice here -- PHPbb plugin is the closest thing we've got to a nicely integrated and robust forum solution. I'm thinking of heading this way but have never used PHPbb...

OR

We get everybody together who wants a com_connector plugin for vbulletin or for SMF or whatever forum and we try to get some itnerested parties motivated to code for us.

Look -- I'm ready to sponsor a developer or co-developers or a small team. I don't have a huge budget, but if we coral a few interested people we could put together an amount sufficient to get the project off the ground and get developers interested.

I'll lend out webspace, etc. I'll beta test, et al. I'll contribute the money I have budgeted for this project, etc.

What does everybody think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 1 month ago #5232 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:com_connector support
Just for my own curiosity can someone tell me the advantages of com_connector versus the plugin architecture that CB1 RC2 has in place?

I had talked with the developer of com_connector to get a recent release of his component to peek at and Martijn and myself have talked about making our "phpBB Connector" a generic "Forum Connector" but even as I think yeah great idea, the other part of me asks what I am doing that is value added over the plugin architecture... mainly because each forum potentially has different user tables and/or group tables, posts, post_text, topics, etc... tables, tables, tables... and to properly support any of them you have to update and link the correct tables...

So even with our theoritical "Forum Connector" someone will still need to sit down and write a 'plugin' that addresses what do I do when ... ? (i.e. add user, delete user, update user, start session, etc.)

Don't get me wrong I am not bashing com_connector in anyway... I just want to make sure I fully understand its benefit... partially to see if our future "Forum Connector" would solve any of the issues... The main benefit I see with the "Forum Connector" versus the phpBB Connector is that assuming multiple 'plugins' were available the users could have the same profile and backend features regardless of which forum they chose... leaving it to making those features as complete as possible... but as I mentioned earlier that depends on someone writing code for all of the other forums.

Respectfully,
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

18 years 1 month ago #5233 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:com_connector support
Duplicate post... I guess if you take too long to submit a post it double posts...

Post edited by: geeffland, at: 2006/01/31 21:57

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

18 years 1 month ago #5235 by oojacoboo
Replied by oojacoboo on topic Re:com_connector support
Like you hinted. It is the closest thing to a true integration. It also will allow you to setup other applications, such as gallery2 for me. If everyone went with a unified architecture like com_connector it would make cross integration easier.

Yes, someone will have to write a plugin, but its better to have all plugins under one architecture, than 20 different architectures with a couple plugins people are pushing for. And this particular architecture doesn't lean in any one particular direction. Meaning there is no bias, like the CB one.

O, and on the topic of money, yes, I would be willing to help in that department as well. I need a CB/vB/Gallery2/Joomla solution. I can't seem to find it...

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2006/01/31 22:13

18 years 1 month ago #5236 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:com_connector support
Hi Greg --

First of all -- thanks for your hard work. I'm a hardcore vBulletin supporter and tonight I think I'm giving it up and installing PHPBB with your solution.

It's really appreciated.

Now, I'm no pro here -- but I think the arguments you raise here are totally valid. Even if com_connector exists, you'll still need someone to code a connector plug-in for Community Builder. So what's the difference of coding a plugin based on the connector or on Community Builder's API? Nothing -- just two different ways to achieve the same thing!

That's it -- now that I've thought it through, there's no true universality in such a system -- its no more universal than the CB API -- or is it? Now I'm confused by the above post! HAHA!

Gallery2 works out of the box with CB doesn't it?

Post edited by: dsendecki, at: 2006/01/31 22:15

18 years 1 month ago #7061 by osirisjem
Replied by osirisjem on topic Re:com_connector support
rick wrote:

I would like once again to suggest that the Joomlapolis team do a little PR and put out some PDF's, videos, audios, etc to get the word out to the masses as to what CB really is.Lets get the word out....

I really agree here. CB just doesn't seem to be anything tangible.

What is this Joomla/Mambo Community Builder?

Difficult to really produce a concise definition, but its all of the following:

* A Joomla/Mambo component and 3 collaborating core modules (means nothing to me)
* An environment for producing and maintaining online communities on Joomla/Mambo driven sites (means nothing)
* A system that provides user profile capabilities for Joomla/Mambo sites (vbulletin does that, better)
* A different registration/login process for Joomla/Mambo sites (supports 4 different workflows) (what kind of workflows, why would i want another workflow, who am I flowing work to ?)
* An environment that enables Mambo/Joomla site administrators to create user profiles that capture extra information from users (with the creation of new fields) that can be presented and organized in tabs (again defined by the administrator) (vbulletin already does this, better)
* A framework for other Joomla/Mambo components to integrate with user profiles (I want my user profiles in vbulletin, I only need them in one place, i dont want to synch vbulletin profiles with CB profiles)

I could really go on ... but I think you are starting to get the picture. You can see alot of the Community Builder capabilities by visiting your own profile on this site!

You should go on, this doesn't make sense to me.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn