User profile picture size

18 years 4 months ago #831 by browneye253
Replied by browneye253 on topic Re:User profile picture size
This resize only happens on the initial upload? I have adjusted my settings but pictures that have already been uploaded at a larger size are still shown at the larger resolution.

I had it set at 500 x 200 and now set to 350 x 350 as the max, but the images are staying at their original size.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 4 months ago #835 by Papillon
Replied by Papillon on topic Re:User profile picture size
Yes, that's correct. The resizing only works on upload.

Greetz Papi

18 years 4 months ago #838 by PeterMixt
Replied by PeterMixt on topic Re:User profile picture size
browneye253 wrote:

This resize only happens on the initial upload? I have adjusted my settings but pictures that have already been uploaded at a larger size are still shown at the larger resolution.

I had it set at 500 x 200 and now set to 350 x 350 as the max, but the images are staying at their original size.

YES, resize happens during initial upload only.

So you have images that are larger than your current settings. I ran accross this on one of my sites. Time to FTP into your images/comprofiler folder and download all your images and use create a batch in photoshop to resize them? It's cheap and quick and worked for me.

Or if you have an extra grand or two, (or your handy with code) you can do ON THE FLY image maniputlation.

The images on the shopping cart website: walterfilm are initially uploaded at a max of 800 wide or tall. But you will see the thumbnails are not that big, nor do they load the entire 800 pixel version. This is done by ON THE FLY image manipulation. Working with imagemagick and php the images are RESIZED to the config specs as a image is accessed for the first time. Change the config specs and a resize will occur next time the image is accessed. The resized images are then saved for future use.

So now you know it can be done... and no, it's not a CPB feature... nor is it easy, but it can be done.

PeterMixt

PeterMixt

18 years 4 months ago #880 by Viames
Replied by Viames on topic Re:User profile picture size
PeterMixt wrote:

YES, resize happens during initial upload only.

Well, it seems suggest a nice feature: storing original image in a special folder. Of course that image should be resized to acceptable size at upload, eg. 1200x800, and not over that.
After the store in its repository, the framework could manage images at any size specified in admin area, for profile image, and for thumbnail. When an admin change its dimension, then framework adapt all images to new sizes (profile imgs and thumbs).
What do you think about?

CB italian translation & testing
translations on joomla.it
homesites: Viames.it , Crotone on Web

18 years 4 months ago #901 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:User profile picture size
Cerrect me if I am wrong but the purpose of processing the image at the time of upload is so that the file size is reduced to save on disk space on your server. If you store the original as well you are not only defeating this purpose but compounding it by keeping the original as well as the processed.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 4 months ago #902 by browneye253
Replied by browneye253 on topic Re:User profile picture size
No, what he is saying is you would have a setting for the max size of image you are willing to allow. Much like CB works now, but then give them the option to set the profile image size and the thumbnail image size.

So you then only have one image at say 500 x 500 but you could set the profile page to display at a max resolution of 350 x 350 and a thumbnail at 72 x 72.

Thus instead of having two pictures you only have one picture on your server.

I think this would be a great idea, and very close to what CB offers now with a few of the modifications that have been mentioned by Peter.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn