Safari doesn't remember login status

14 years 1 month ago #126888 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Safari doesn't remember login status
Sorry, but your posts have gone back and forth to it's working then to it's not working. With latest release IE8, Safari, Opera, Chrome, and FireFox I can not duplicate your issue. All browsers functioning fine.

What method are you using for session storing (see Joomla Global Configuration)? It's possible your server has configuration in place for session handling via PHP.ini.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #126897 by Geoffrey
Replied by Geoffrey on topic Re:Safari doesn't remember login status
Thank you for your quick reply.

What method are you using for session storing (see Joomla Global Configuration)? It's possible your server has configuration in place for session handling via PHP.ini.

I have checked my global config file and found that it is using "database" as a session_handler. I don't see an option for PHP.ini

Sorry, but your posts have gone back and forth to it's working then to it's not working. With latest release IE8, Safari, Opera, Chrome, and FireFox I can not duplicate your issue.

As far as the back and forth of "it's working" and "it's not working" - The system remembers me for a while and if it gets up to a day, then I am happy to report that the system is working properly, but then it "forgets" me later so I post saying that it was actually not fixed. :(

The time limit for when we get "forgotten" has changed in each trial that I did. It may take a day or just an hour. In your browsers, how long did you wait before you see yourself "forgotten" or, how long have you waited to see if you were remembered? Because it varies for me.

Also, is Joomlapolis running the latest version of CB? Because before I would be able to come to Joomlapolis even after long periods of time and still find myself remembered. Now, with the release of CB 1.2.2 I am forgotten just like in my website.

Post edited by: Geoffrey, at: 2010/03/15 21:20

Geoffresh Imperial Hawk Productions
www.geoffresh.com

14 years 1 month ago #126974 by krileon
Are you closing your browser and opening it again? Something is likely clearing your cookie which is resulting in an expired session. CB will recheck the cookie when you revisit the site, but if the cookie is missing it will expire the session. Check that your browser is function correctly as far as keeping cookies or login information (FireFox has separate clearing for login vs site preferences, etc...). You may want to use/try a different browser to see if issue is consistent across multiple browsers.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #127138 by Geoffrey

Are you closing your browser and opening it again? Something is likely clearing your cookie which is resulting in an expired session.

Krileon, Thank you for your advice. I have looked into the cookies on Safari and I have noticed that Safari does clear at least 2 cookies(for my website). The odd thing is that some of the cookies do not have expiration times. The site generates 6 cookies total. 4 of them have expiration dates, - 1 of those has an expiration time of about 18 minutes while the other 3 have an expiration date well into the future (about 1 year). The other 2 do not have any expiration dates at all! The ones that do not have an expiration date are the ones that are getting deleted.

The same goes from the Joomlapolis site. The cookies that have expiration dates stay while the ones that don't have expiration dates are cleared out. I think the ones that don't have the dates are the ones that are needed to "remember" the user when returning to the site.

I have also checked out the cookies for other sites such as facebook that require a login and all of the cookies for that site have expiration dates and I do not have an issues with safari at all with those sites.

You may want to use/try a different browser to see if issue is consistent across multiple browsers.

Yes, I have tried before with other browsers and the issue is not present in them. As the title of this thread implies, this issue is related to Safari. I want to get this working 100% on safari because most of the visitors that come to my site use safari (data from google analytics backs this up).

Is there anyway for CB login to purposely generate expiration dates for safari users for those 2 cookies?

Post edited by: Geoffrey, at: 2010/03/19 05:18

www.geoffresh.com

14 years 1 month ago #127436 by krileon
The remember me session is not generated by CB, it is generated by Joomla. 2 sessions generated by CB are meant to expire when browser is closed; but they are not the remember me session (those are the 2 you are seeing vanish). Sorry, do not know direct cause of your session problem. It's possibly host related as PHP functions are used to handle sessions and can be dependant on your hosts configuration of PHP.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

14 years 4 weeks ago #128028 by Geoffrey
Krileon, Thank you for your suggestion.

It's possibly host related as PHP functions are used to handle sessions and can be dependant on your hosts configuration of PHP.

I have upgraded my PHP on the server and yet I still encounter this issue. I am still encountering this issue with joomlapolis in safari as well. Here is what I think is going on.

I have both websites in my "top sites" menu and top sites has thumbnails for each site that refresh every-so-often. It looks like with the refresh, the site "forgets" the visitor.

I have asked a few friends who do not have my website in their "top sites" menu and they do not have this issue with the "remember me" session.

I will try this out myself by removing both my own website and the joomlapolis site from my top sites menu and visit both sites from time to time.

The remember me session is not generated by CB, it is generated by Joomla.

Thank you for the clarification. I will post on the joomla.org forums to see if I can remedy the top sites issue. You can follow the thread by clicking on this link.

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=473&t=501676

www.geoffresh.com

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn