Remove username and password fields?

17 years 11 months ago #11559 by vhannon
Remove username and password fields? was created by vhannon
I'm new to CB (and Joomla in general) and I'm trying to create a registration system but I don't need to collect usernames and passwords. I just need to build my databse of users who want to be kept up to date. How do I remove the Username and Password fields from the registration page?

I've searched many forums and I haven't found an answer.

Thanks!

Vaughn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 11 months ago #11581 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:Remove username and password fields?
Vaughn,

Why would you want to do this?

The username and password field is integral to the idea of having a community "profile".

If you want to collect information from your users but not go through the hassle of registration then CB is not for you.

Check out Phil Taylor's Phil a form or search the joomla extensions site for "forms".

Explain better what it is you want to do!

I'm confused! :huh:

17 years 11 months ago #11582 by vhannon
Replied by vhannon on topic Re:Remove username and password fields?
Well, my client just wants to collect names and email addresses. And then email them with updates as to what's happening with the project. I inherited the project from someone and they were using Community Builder so I figured that's what I'd use.

Like I said, I'm new to the Joomla thing. Anyway, I do need the username and password stuff for one part of the site but not in general. (it's a movie website, general users shouldn't need usernames but press people should)

That's the gist.

Thanks for the answer, I'll check out the other form components.

Vaughn

17 years 11 months ago #11587 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:Remove username and password fields?
I gotcha -- CB may be overkill for that project -- check out those form components and PerFORMS and Phil-a-form are good. I prefer phil-a-form but its a commercial component ($$) -- but its really solid.

If you just want to restrict access to one part of the site -- the default login etc should do ya (for the press).

I would go the route of phil-a-form -- it lets you collect any info you want and store it in the database for download into excel, etc.

You can combine it with moslistmessenger -- which is another good commerical component to do newsletters. I use this set up and its flawless.

Thats just my opinion though.

Dan

17 years 11 months ago #11590 by vhannon
Replied by vhannon on topic Re:Remove username and password fields?
Awesome...thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

V

17 years 11 months ago #11602 by centralpulse
Replied by centralpulse on topic Re:Remove username and password fields?
You could always just look at the options of the newsletter components such as YaNC, ANJEL, Letterman, Phil Taylor's mosListMessenger, etc...
All the above plus more are available from the joomla.org extensions directory
This will allow your client to maintain their mailing lists from the backend of their Joomla! website.

Hope it helps,
Ryan B)

LATEST CB WEBSITE BY CENTRAL PULSE ETOOLS: www.unilife.co.nz

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn