(Help) Dropdown lists populated from database

17 years 10 months ago #13846 by GMan10
Hello,
i need help to populate two or maybe three dropdown lists from a database.
The lists should be dependant to another.

For example:

LB1 = Country
LB2 = State
LB3 = Town

If i choose a county in LB1 only the states relevant to that country should populate LB2 and after choosing a state only relevant towns should show up in LB3.

I would like this to show at registration and also be compulsory.

The documentation helped me in different areas but unfortunately for me there is nothing about connecting to a foreign database.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 10 months ago #14038 by bzn
there have been plugins for the RC2 release which were able to open a specific table depending on what item in another table was clicked. But I never tried it and I don't know if it works with the 1.0 stable release. If it works, please let me know. I'm in need of something like that too.

17 years 10 months ago #14050 by mikko
Conditions plugin works with 1.0 stable.

mikko

17 years 10 months ago #14056 by bzn
good news. did you ever tried it with the Advanced Search (emptorum.com), is it working there too?

17 years 10 months ago #14059 by GMan10
It seems to be able to do just what I need. Although i'm a bit worried about adding all the data to one table.

All counties/States
All Cities/Towns/Villages
All Pubs and clubs

Would a repeated select on this table not slow the system down tremendously. I haven't tryed it yet, because it will take a while to change the standing database structure.

Please tell me what you think!

17 years 10 months ago #14068 by mikko
I have no intentions to make this plugin work with the advanced search. (I have nothing against it, but just don't have the time) The sites that I run do not use the advanced search, so there is no point in coding it. If someone wants to do it, I can provide some assistance though.

If you do indexing well, there is virtually no performance difference in havign the data in one or several tables.

mikko

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.825 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn