Website for user to resize their photo

18 years 3 months ago #2701 by djsdjs
I have the following in my site faq to help users resize their photo with no need to use a graphics program to do so. It explains how to do it using reseize2mail.com with specific instructions and a screenshot. You would need to create a screen capture of the relevant section of the webpage and reference it in the code below.

[code:1]What is the easiest way to prepare a picture for upload?

The easiest way is at a website. You will need to follow the instructions here to get it done quickly.
<OL><LI>Click here to open this image resize site in a seperate window <BR>-> <A href="www.resize2mail.com/?option=advanced" target=_blank>www.resize2mail.com/?option=advanced
<P>Your should see the following on the webpage:
<P><FONT COLOR=RED>SCREEN CAPTURE OF RELEVANT PORTION OF WEBPAGE</FONT>
<P><FONT COLOR=RED><B>Note</B>: If you see a different set of options than the above display, try clicking the small text link called "on your own" right above the"browse" button.</FONT><P>
<li>Perform "Step 1" and select your image with the browse button.
<li><B><FONT COLOR=RED>IMPORTANT:</FONT></B> For "Step 2" type "200" in the <U>SECOND</U> box which has the text "I would like to make the image exactly this <B>width</B> in pixels!" above it. <U>DO NOT</U> type anything in the first box as well or your picture will come out distorted (and maybe wider - and none of us want that for anyone!)
<li>Click the "okay" button.
<li>On the next screen right-click the image and select "Save Picture As" (or something similar) to save the image to your hard drive.
<li>Visit your profile and click "update image" to upload your image.
<P><B>Note:</B> Unless you start with an extremely large image, your resized image should be well under the 75 Kb limit of YourSite.com[/code:1]

Post edited by: djsdjs, at: 2006/01/25 15:38

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #4010 by aqsg
Awesome idea. My users have always complained about having to resize their images for our website.

Great website, the person that designed it should be given a medal. Great time saver

Director/Solutions Architect of Australian Quality Solutions Group (www.aqsg.com.au)
Founder of josCommunity (www.joscommunity.com)
Founder of CCHSStudent (www.cchsstudent.com)
Community Builder 3rd Party Developer
PAXXGallery Developer

18 years 2 months ago #4815 by andyahoo
Replied by andyahoo on topic Re:Website for user to reside their photo
There is a cool component that allows croping of images in the joomla admin. It doesn't allow you to resize and it doesn't work from the froont end. It is a great time saver though. Maybe someone that is a genious and knows code can modify this to do what you guys are talking about.

www.joomlaya.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,fileinfo/parent,folder/filecatid,1840/

Joomla! 1.0.9
CB 1.0

18 years 3 weeks ago #8879 by Boom
couldnt we use somethign along the lines of having the GD Lib code that resizes images to thumbs and what not do the following action. When person uploads the picture to their profile area as it does now and insert some code that acts as a middle man to makresize the image to fit and then trashes the original. So in effect the GD Lib2 resizes and saves to where it normally saves for the profile, and if the file is within proportion then it does nto need to take any action and is skipped. Like a middle man for the final save. I wouldnt think it would be that hard as i see it in all sorts of things that generate a thumbnail hard copy, just adjust the size to be 200 x 500 with constrained proportions to avoid a distortion issue.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to do this or where one might start i would be willing to invest time into learning how to make it happen. I think thats a major thing for people to have and avoid going off your site. More of liek an all inclusive approach.

im gonan look at Q-dig gallery as i know for a fact this does this and samves the new image into a new folder called thumbs but to have it work for the profiles it would save it to the same folder and overwrite the existing file perhaps? Some way that doesnt require being logged in as an admin to do the overwriting like maybe a temp file that stores the original image for 2 minutes then strips it fromt eh system or does it on a daily basis like a chrionjob to delete contents of directory oversized images every 24 hours maybe. As you can see im brainstormnign siome ideas as im going through thsi so im gonna shut up and see what i can come up with and then beg for some help implementing it into the system.

I mean heck it does something with GD already to make the profile image resized for the board and login menu.

18 years 3 weeks ago #8917 by djsdjs
Replied by djsdjs on topic Re:Website for user to reside their photo
I'm sure this is very possible - however - for sites where bandwidth, disk space and server cycles are an issue, anything based on your own server could eat a lot of resources - I would rather somebody else take that hit :laugh:

18 years 2 weeks ago #9348 by aqsg
Problem s that alot of servers don't have GD installed. And as mentioned below, it's better for someone else's server to take the hit of image processing than to lag your server anymore than you have to

Director/Solutions Architect of Australian Quality Solutions Group (www.aqsg.com.au)
Founder of josCommunity (www.joscommunity.com)
Founder of CCHSStudent (www.cchsstudent.com)
Community Builder 3rd Party Developer
PAXXGallery Developer

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn