Official CB Public Mail thread

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #169035 by Kampp
Official CB Public Mail thread was created by Kampp
Hi all!

Some time ago I created the Public Mail plugin for Community Builder (CB).
This thread is meant to answer many questions in one place, and inform you of a new version 1.3 ready for download within a few days.

A similar thread can be found at the Joomla forum here:
forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=249953&p=2549945#p2549945

If you subscribe to these two threads you will get updates about new versions here.

Public Mail version 1.3 has many improvements:
  • Optimized the plugin parameters/configuration.
  • Fixed \r\n breaks error in email messages for some servers.
  • Added feature of restricting/limit Public Mail to certain users (crude style).
  • Added BCC feature so admins can receive a copy of all send messages.
  • Added feature of subject prefix for receivers.
  • Added feature of subject prefix for BBC emails.
  • Added a third optional extra field (this means an added column in the database).
  • Added comments to the database log columns for better understanding.
  • Added Swedish language (thanks Panaman).
  • Added German language (thanks Yves Hoppe).
  • Added Spanish language (thanks Julio Quattropani).
  • Added Italian language (thanks Federico Leva).
  • Added Frensh language (thanks MDB Cohen).
  • Added Brazilian Portuguese language (thanks Eduardo H. Sabbi).

Download the new 1.3 version:
You can grab it from the Community Builder website or the Joomla Extensions as soon as it has been approved:
www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/directory/community-building/messaging/public-mail-visitors-can-email-registered-users
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/community-builder-extensions/community-builder-communication/2249

I did a small FAQ:
Q: I can't install. I get the error message: "Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.".
A: Public Mail is a CB plugin and not a Joomla extension. Please use the CB plugin installer instead of the Joomla installer!!

Q: I still can't install the plugin?
A: First confirm that you are using the CB installer and not the Joomla installer! If you are still experiencing problems it is most likely due to host file or folder permissions. You may need to CHMOD some folders like the "media" and CB "plugins/user/" folder!

Q: Are there any problems in upgrading from version 1.2 to 1.3?
A: Only one! There is a new column (called "mailextra3") in the database table for the new third extra field. This column needs to be created manually! The new files can simply overwrite the old ones in the folder "\components\com_comprofiler\plugin\user\plug_cbpublicmail\". If you haven’t used the log or don't need it you can simply uninstall the plugin and install it again!

Q: I NEED this plugin installed and I have tried everything! Is it possible to do a manual install?
A: Yes it is! Place all the files from the package in a folder in this location: "\components\com_comprofiler\plugin\user\plug_cbpublicmail\". Now you only need to create the one database table (if you need to log emails)! You can find the SQL table you need in the XML installer file and insert it into your database though PhpMyAdmin.

Q: How do I use/view the full database log?
A: There is currently not an interface for that. You need to view the data directly in the database table jos_comprofiler_plug_publicmail. You need a database tool, like e.g. PhpMyAdmin. This tool is most often supplied by your webhost, but can also be installed by your self.

Q: Nothing is stored or logged in the database table?
A: First confirm that you have logging activated in the configuration and the database table jos_comprofiler_plug_publicmail exists! If so it is most likely due to a wrong table or column collation. It works for sure with "utf8_general_ci". You can change the collation with PhpMyAdmin.

Q: Instead of line breaks I see "\r\n"?
A: This is due to your email system or the host. However this error should have been fixed in Public Mail version 1.3!

Q: Where are the parameters/configuration/settings located?
A: Configuration is located in Community Builders "Tab Management" and not the "Plugin Management".

Q: Can I restrict the usage of Public Mail to a specific user group?
A: Yes, just like any CB plugin under "Tab Management" you can choose who can use/view the plugin.

Q: Can I restrict the use of Public Mail to individual people?
A: Yes, you can do this in the configuration in version 1.3 and up. However it can seem a bit crude to use if you have many users.

Q: The plugin does not work with CAPTCHA if it is placed in a tab?
A: It does in all tests created. The most likely error is therefore that you are using an old version of CAPTCHA or there are some issues with your template or CB template.

Q: I get the error: "Upload showPlugins - Failed. Plugin version (1.2) different from Community Builder version (1.2 RC 2)"?
A: In general this problem is gone if you have updated your CB to the newest version. Same thing goes for Public Mail. If this does not work, then change the "<version>1.2</version>" to "<version>1.1</version>" in the plugin XML installer file.

Please remember to Karma me in the forum AND rate the plugin in the directory if you like it :silly:

Creator of the CB plugins: "User IP log" and "Public Mail"
Joomla! services/coding: www.toolmaster.dk
Joomla! services/coding: joomla-konsulent.dk
Danish Joomla! hosting: www.joomla-hosting.dk
The following user(s) said Thank You: MacJoomla

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago #171809 by cooksk1
Replied by cooksk1 on topic Re: Official CB Public Mail thread
Hello,

I have searched, but perhaps I am overlooking the solution. How do I edit the text that CB Public Mail puts before and after the user's email message?

Before the user's email: "This email was sendt from www.mywebsite.com/ by ..."

After the user's email: "If you have recieved this email by mistake it is because someone at the site mentioned above has used your email!"

Thanks,

Kelvin

12 years 7 months ago #172295 by Kampp
Replied by Kampp on topic Re: Official CB Public Mail thread
This is a standard text. This is done in the plugin language file in the plugin folder.

12 years 7 months ago #172503 by cooksk1
Replied by cooksk1 on topic Re: Official CB Public Mail thread
Thanks for your response.

I have looked in <joomlaroot>/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/default_language at each php file, but I am unable to find the strings that I wish to change.

Do you know the specific file that I should be looking for to change the wording?

Thanks,
Kelvin

12 years 7 months ago #172537 by Kampp
Replied by Kampp on topic Re: Official CB Public Mail thread
\components\com_comprofiler\plugin\user\plug_cbpublicmail\language\en-GB.php on line 38 to 40 it clearly states:
DEFINE('_PM_RECIEVER_MESSAGE1','This email was sendt from');
DEFINE('_PM_RECIEVER_MESSAGE2','by');
DEFINE('_PM_RECIEVER_FOOTER','If you have recieved this email by mistake it is because someone at the site mentioned above has used your email!');

All you need to do is change this.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #179884 by MacJoomla
Replied by MacJoomla on topic Re: Official CB Public Mail thread

Kampp wrote: Q: Instead of line breaks I see "\r\n"?
A: This is due to your email system or the host. However this error should have been fixed in Public Mail version 1.3!

Hello, great Plugin. Thank you for sharing.

Just a little question, in my case with version 1.3 i got "rn" (without slashes) in my mails instead of line breaks. What can i do or can you help me?

Thank you and best regards, Macjoomla

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn