CB, Joomla and PhpBB

18 years 3 months ago #3535 by teclive
Replied by teclive on topic Re:CB, Joomla and PhpBB
geeffland wrote:

Tanya,

We are currently developing code to handle importing and exporting users between phpBB and CB/Joomla. Hope to have it done soon but am currently having some time conflicts so it may be within the next two weeks.

hiya again, sorry again if this is a stupid question.
I am beyond confused :S

I am going to start the joomla migration again from scratch on my clients site to see if i can get this right. Please tell me if this is correct or if i should be doing something else

i am going to do the migration again to the joomla from mambo which arleady has the CB and over 140 members in it.

so, please tell me if these steps are correct

migrate to joomla
install the phpbb
install the phpbb bridge
use the CB to login and register all new and existing members

Now, you mentioned you were working on a way to bring existing CB members into phpbb. Is this ready now? will it be ready soon? is there an alternative to bring the CB members into the phpbb?

thanks again for all of your help, perhaps I should bring you aboard to help out (nudge nudge wink wink)
:whistle: :)

thnx
Tanya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #3611 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:CB, Joomla and PhpBB
First I will say that I have never used Mambo... (started working with this CMS stuff after Joomla came on the scene)... so I don't know how the migration will work

Sounds like for this heavy of a migration I would be tempted to backup or copy the database files just incase. Easy way to do that would be to setup MySql ODBC drivers (assuming you have windows)... then using access you can link/import the tables and then copy them (the import I think actually makes a copy but I don't know for sure)... I have heard of other backup programs but I have no experience with them.

My setup with phpBB and CB

Joomla 1.0.4
CB 1.0 RC2
phpBB 2.0.18 (Regular version from phpbb.com)
our developed "phpBB Connector" (CB plugin)

I do not have any bridge installed other than our plugin. I think my links to phpBB are seperate URL links so it does not show up within the site's mainbody (opens in a new windows)

I assume your user data should be in the mos_users table for Mambo and in jos_comprofiler or mos_comprofiler for the CB user data. Not knowing what version of CB you have and what changes they made to CB in the past, I can't say for sure but I would think you could copy a lot of the records from your old tables to the new tables...

I might be tempted to setup Joomla from Scratch in a seperate database so you can refer to your existing setup anytime you need it.

I am by no means an expert in Joomla, CB, or PHP... only started working with these 3 around October/November of last year... luckily some of my previous programming experience is making the transition fairly painless..

On our plugin... I currently have it so it lists the users that fall into various categories for import/export and allows you to select them... First indication is that this is going to look and work pretty well... I don't have any SQL written yet for the IMPORT/EXPORT but it should follow the registration SQL we already have pretty closely. Just yesterday I mocked up some code so I can understand how to get a list of the selected users to use in the SQL query so I feel we are pretty close to having that part completed... except for the fact that I have recently had some outside things come up which are affecting my time to code... I was hoping to release the next beta this week... depending on how things go it could be as long as 2 weeks from now... Just have to find the time.

If you figure out what I was saying about about using Access to backup your tables you could also use it to transfer users to your new system... 1 nice thing is that both phpBB and CB/Joomla use the same MD5 encryption on their passwords... so cut and paste will work...

Hope this helps, gotta get back to work..
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

18 years 3 months ago #4087 by teclive
Replied by teclive on topic Re:CB, Joomla and PhpBB
hi there again, ok, i have made it to het step of installing phpbb connector, now correct me if i am wrong, but all i have to do is open up my ftp client and upload the files from the zip file correct?

or do i go to the admin of my joomla and upload the plug_phpbbconnector_V1[1].1_Beta.zip?

18 years 3 months ago #4284 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:CB, Joomla and PhpBB
All you need to do is go to the CB Plugin Management screen (from the Admin side) and in the Install plugin area... browse to the ZIP file and click ok... then click the install button...

Also note there is a README file in the ZIP which does not get uploaded to your site... This may give a little more background...

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn