What tools needed to learn to create CB plug ins?

18 years 1 month ago #6520 by Raj
I don't know PHP at all, but have worked in Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic.NET. What tools would one need to learn how to make CB plug ins? Can someone give a list, including downloads and good code editors for PHP?

Thanks,

Roger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 1 month ago #6561 by geeffland
Raj,

For plugins, I recommend downloading Beat's API documentation www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,16/Itemid,36/ and then looking through another plugin that you like... phpBB connector, simpleboard plugin, etc.

For php, I bought a copy of this book www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672326728/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/102-3954820-3960108?%5Fencoding=UTF8

If you are pretty familiar with VB and programming in general (including Object Oriented Programing) then the crash course in PHP should be pretty good... worked for me anyway. Also remember 'Google' is your friend... there are many websites which offer php references and tips/tricks... Zend, php.net, etc..

Code editors... Zend Studio is good (but not free), Crimson Editor is a good 'programmers text editor' (but not an IDE)... I have played around a bit with phpDesigner (not sure exact name) but it worked on one machine and not another... first glance was ok... Between Zend and Crimson Editor that covers the bases for me... I think some HTML editors like Dreamweaver have some limited php coding... they are excellent for html though...

Hope this helps get you started...
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

18 years 1 month ago #6564 by Raj
Thanks, dude... This is project will take me some time, but I think it's worth it. I haven't coded in awhile, but CB is getting me excited again. :)

Raj

18 years 1 month ago #6602 by stevebor1
how about for creating mods for CB?

Karma Me Up!
File Attachment:

FITcommunity
Joomla! 1.0.12 - Community Builder 1.0.2 - Joomlaboard 1.1.2
Own Mods Featured Profile Mod
My Real Day Job
File Attachment:

Mobile Wallet and Social Lending, Anywhere!

18 years 1 month ago #6623 by mikko
I learned PHP by doing "php tutorial" on google. If you know progamming, a quick tutorial on the syntax on the web was the quickest way for me.

If you run Linux, gedit which comes with Gnome desktop is fair. For webdesign, I recommend bluefish.

For creating mods, I recommend the same tools. Then it is just about familiarizing with the code. I do this by basically "executing the code myself", that is, following the function calls and trying to examine what happens.

-mikko

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn