Plugin licensing

18 years 1 month ago #6563 by mikko
Plugin licensing was created by mikko
I would like to know if it is possible to release plugins under other than GPL license.

What I am interested in, is can plugin be considered as derivative work. The GPL FAQ (www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins) and also this www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation state that CB plugins as well as Joomla components would need to be release with GPL compatible licensing.

Does anyone here know if these things really do hold, that is, can you (legally) publish a plugin that integrates with non GPL code?

mikko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 1 month ago #7192 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Plugin licensing
mikko wrote:

I would like to know if it is possible to release plugins under other than GPL license.

What I am interested in, is can plugin be considered as derivative work. The GPL FAQ (www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins) and also this www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation state that CB plugins as well as Joomla components would need to be release with GPL compatible licensing.

Does anyone here know if these things really do hold, that is, can you (legally) publish a plugin that integrates with non GPL code?

mikko

1. I'm not a lawyer
2. It may depend on country

But generally the limit is as follows:

If you write GPL code using publicly available information which is not protected by patents, then you are generally ok.

If you need to look into a database structure or code, which is proprietary and not public, and your code reveals those partially, then you are not ok, without the permission of the rights-holder.

That said, the rights-holder might even be interested in supporting your work as it could broaden their customer base. Just don't be afraid to talk with them first in any case.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a legal advice, and is given without any warranty implied or explicit, etc. etc. bla bla bla. ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn