[SOLVED] Migration - user import - target has new fields

13 years 5 months ago #144941 by pepperstreet
Hello again,
just a quick question for a migration from J! CB users to a newer J1.5 CB install. (I had a small amount, so i added them manually) But my question is still in my mind: What to do on a bigger site in the future... maybe there is a time-saving method for this kind of (unsusal) tasks:

1. CB install with OLD field collection
2. new CB install, but this one has some new fields and some of the older fields were deleted

How would you sync or better import OLD users to the NEW install? Because there are differences in fields amount and position... its tricky. Is there something like a SQL-tool with import, which can assign old fields to new fields?

Thanks for listening.

EDIT:
Searching with different terms brought me to CBjuice
Any other options? External or visual SQL tools preferred ;-)

Post edited by: pepperstreet, at: 2010/10/27 01:42

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/11/01 17:05

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #144984 by krileon
Best approach for mass import/export is CB Juice. You can use database queries, but is more complicated.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #145015 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re:Migration - user import - target has new fields
Thanks for your suggestion.

CBjuice is nice. But there is one issue i don´t understand. The import stops, if there are missing fields in the CSV source... i don´t know the inner workings and logic, but there should be a possibilty to import ALL IT CAN, as far as the COLUMN-NAMES are the same. My imports always stumbled upon those different fields.
Anyway, the CSV export is a gerat help.

I found a nice companion application: NaviCat MySQL
not the cheapest ;-) but the only one i found with import/export wizards. Those wizards are really cool for visual people like me... and they have a field-mapping feature!

If there are other (cheaper) SQL tools with a field mapping feature, please post it here ;-)

13 years 5 months ago #145071 by krileon
Not that I am aware of, sorry. I've always just used phpymadmin and do direct database ports. Keep in mind you need to move multiple tables such as the ACL structuring, the _users table, and the _comprofiler table. If the ACL tables aren't moved as well then your users will not work correctly (CB tools MIGHT be able to fix this, no guarantee). Again, best and safest approach is CB Juice however I have no clue how to use it.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #145146 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re:Migration - user import - target has new fields
CB Tools:
Is working great so far. Never touched the ACL stuff manually... CB tools did all the work, after i copied the jos_users table. :-)

Navicat:
At the moment my favourite for some special tasks. I am used to phpMyAdmin and its all you need in general. The wizards and query-builder are amazing in navicat. A bit more intuitiv. Have to play more with it ;-)

CBjuice:
Still not sure, if it works on the column-names... i guess so. Unfortunately the import stops on missing/not known columns. Thats a big problem. I will discuss this on their project page later.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn