Updating to 1.3 - preserving previous alterations

13 years 4 months ago #147391 by mrartist
Hi, having just finished months of development on my J1.5 website today, I then get the email that tells me of the CB update to 1.3. I'm currently running 1.2.3 and I wonder how safe and easy it is for me to just install over the old?

All in all, I've lost track of the various changes I've made to various things, from Registration forms to Fields to the underlying code and language and description files. I also have VM installed with triggers all linked in so will any of that be affected?

My fear is that I will have to hunt through everything again to check and redo things that are just as I need them already. Whether it's the highly tweaked descriptions of everything in the forms or my altered descriptions used for headers, paragraphs of texts or 'info' comments, I'm in danger of losing track of what is or isn't altered.

Also, I have CBSubs installed though not really used at the moment. Does any of the new CB stuff rely on that being upgraded too, at the same time?

As my site is now just newly working, I don't know if there's any immediate need to install the new version but some of the bug fixes sound important and useful? And then there's the backend security fix, should I do just that if possible?

Any advice on the best course of action much appreciated. I may have missed it on your site, but without some further advice on upgrading it seems a perilous task. I have checked the upgrade instructions in the download and I don't think it answers these concerns I have.

Many thanks

Post edited by: mrartist, at: 2010/12/01 03:51

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #147412 by nant
mrartist wrote:

Hi, having just finished months of development on my J1.5 website today, I then get the email that tells me of the CB update to 1.3. I'm currently running 1.2.3 and I wonder how safe and easy it is for me to just install over the old?

Should be easy since you are on a J15 environment. You can install over and preserve all your parameter settings and other installed plugins as well.

You should always take a backup first!
This should be your standard procedure when updating anything on your site - no matter what anyone tells you!

All in all, I've lost track of the various changes I've made to various things, from Registration forms to Fields to the underlying code and language and description files. I also have VM installed with triggers all linked in so will any of that be affected?

If you have modified any php files of CB then your modifications will most likely be lost. All parameter settings saved from CB backend will remain since they are saved in the database.

If you have installed a CB language plugin and made changes to it - those changes will not be lost (as long as you do not install a new same language plugin over the first).

My fear is that I will have to hunt through everything again to check and redo things that are just as I need them already. Whether it's the highly tweaked descriptions of everything in the forms or my altered descriptions used for headers, paragraphs of texts or 'info' comments, I'm in danger of losing track of what is or isn't altered.

Well that's the risk you face with direct code alterations.

Also, I have CBSubs installed though not really used at the moment. Does any of the new CB stuff rely on that being upgraded too, at the same time?

CBSubs 1.1 needs CB 1.3 - not vise-versa.

As my site is now just newly working, I don't know if there's any immediate need to install the new version but some of the bug fixes sound important and useful? And then there's the backend security fix, should I do just that if possible?

There is a backend security issue that has been solved in CB 1.3. You should find a way to upgrade.

Any advice on the best course of action much appreciated. I may have missed it on your site, but without some further advice on upgrading it seems a perilous task. I have checked the upgrade instructions in the download and I don't think it answers these concerns I have.

Many thanks

You need to find a way to make changes to your website without hacking any code. Extensions release new versions all the time - you need to be able to upgrade any installed extension when called upon to.

Making direct changes to other peoples code should only be done as a last resort and you should keep detailed notes about what you did where and why - this way you could reapply the changes to newer versions if needed.

13 years 4 months ago #147422 by mrartist
Many thanks for your answer, very helpful. Of course, I back up in two ways all the time, one via my hosting services and the other with Akeeba.

Re changes of code, it's very difficult to log everything that happens, especially when learning/experimenting. I appreciate as programmers you probably have strict logging methods, but for me, my records might consist of comparing a backup with the current file and trying to remember what I did and why.

I don't have any extra languages installed, just the default English. I think the only things I've altered in CB are some of the default string wordings in some of the files that are picked up by fields for registrations and profiles etc., but I'll probably have to check through things quite a lot to make sure all is okay. Is there a master list anywhere of all CB/CBSubs files, where they are, and the best ones to check?

Re the security issue. Is this of any concern if no one else has back-end access? Can the security update be done on its own for now?

Many thanks.

13 years 4 months ago #147431 by nant
mrartist wrote:

Re the security issue. Is this of any concern if no one else has back-end access? Can the security update be done on its own for now?

Many thanks.

You are missing the point.

There will be a future version that will have more security fixes (perhaps more important) and more features that you will not be able to take advantage of.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn