Whether to update to latest Builds or just with new Versions

4 years 4 weeks ago #317240 by adoucette
Hello,
I have recently noticed Community Builder on my site frequently showing updates available to new "builds" (dated) whereas in the past it only showed updates available when new "versions" (numbered) were available.
What is the recommendation whether or not to update to these new builds as they are released?
Related: Do these new dated builds have security fixes, or will any security fixes be reflected in new numbered versions?

Thank you for any clarification, and thanks for offering this great product.
Ari

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 4 weeks ago #317249 by krileon
Build releases and Stable releases go through the same testing and review. Build releases are more up to date with features and bug fixes. Stable releases are mostly a formality. We recommend always staying up to date. If however you don't want to be notified of build releases you can turn off plugin version checking in CB > Configuration > Integrations and you will only be notified of stable builds.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 4 weeks ago #317251 by adoucette

krileon wrote: Stable releases are mostly a formality. We recommend always staying up to date.

OK, thank you Kyle

3 years 11 months ago #318655 by adoucette
One additional thing I've noticed is that lately the Community Builder updates give me a notification on my Joomla admin Control Panel page that an update is needed, but they do now show up as available updates in the Joomla updater.

Shows update available:

Clicking on "Update Now" in the above image takes me to "Community Builder: New Install CB Plugin", but I cannot update Community Builder from there either. If I click "Update All" I get the error message:

But if I browse through the CB plugin installer to the Community Builder Joomla package, it doesn't let me update from there either. It only offers a link to the joomlapolis site.

If I go to the Joomla updater, no Community Builder update listed:

I can use Joomla's install from web feature, browse through the JED, and get to Community Builder and click install. It allows installation from the URL "www.joomlapolis.com/versions/pkg_communitybuilder_latest_stable.zip"

Unfortunately, that just installs the latest major build (like 2.4.5) and not the latest stable release - which CB keeps prompting me to install.

So far the only way I've found to update is to browse to the Joomlapolis site and download the package then upload it to Joomla.

Community Builder used to just let me update 1) from the Joomla Control Panel, 2) from the Joomla updater, and 3) from within Community Builder. Those three (much easier) ways of updating seem to have gone away.

Could you please let me know where I'm going wrong here, or bring back the easy ways of updating?

Thanks again,
Ari

3 years 11 months ago #318665 by krileon
This has all been discussed in the following topic. I suggest reading through it for information regarding recent changes and upcoming changes.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/146-general/242316-update

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn