Set minimum PHP to 7.4

3 years 3 months ago #322615 by Jimmm
Set minimum PHP to 7.4 was created by Jimmm
Set minimum PHP to 7.4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #322617 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Set minimum PHP to 7.4

Jimmm wrote: Set minimum PHP to 7.4

We see some very good reasons to do that from a software developers' perspective and we would love to do so B)

But what are the reasons you are suggesting this ? :)

Until now we were respecting Joomla's requirements. We would love to see Joomla 4.0 require PHP 7.4 minimum version, as PHP 7.2 is EOL and not security maintained, and 7.3 will not be security maintained anymore by the PHP team at the end of this year. Currently, Joomla 4.0's scheduled minimum PHP version is 7.2.x, but that decision was made long ago based on the then latest Linux distributions. Latest versions of newer distributions all come with PHP 7.4 or PHP 8.0.

You may want to upvote krileon's request for that Joomla 4.0 requirements, and even more importantly, reply to that discussion there too to express yourself and the good reasons for it also on the Joomla 4.0 PHP 7.4 discussion here: :)
github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/discussions/31881

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

3 years 2 months ago #322762 by Jimmm
Replied by Jimmm on topic Set minimum PHP to 7.4
main reason EOL

why to respect EOL Joomla requirements?

3 years 2 months ago #322777 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Set minimum PHP to 7.4

main reason EOL

We agree that's why I opened the ticket for Joomla to hopefully get Joomla to set their minimum to 7.4.

why to respect EOL Joomla requirements?

Because typically Joomla minimums are set for a common environment, but it's a non-issue for this since hosts have PHP 7.4 readily available. We'll be discussing what we'll be doing after we see the results of my Joomla ticket.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn