[SOLVED] Front-end editing of read-only fields?

13 years 3 months ago #149735 by empy
Hi,

CB looks like something that we definitively want to use on our Joomla-based site. There's tons of useful features, but the real valuable beef for us is the ability to assign custom fields to users, and use flexible lists to display selected user groups. (It's about crew members for SAR vessels that have ceratin competences.)

So we want users to be able to update their normal contact info and some custom fields. Simple. We also want to have some custom fields that are read-only and only editable by a group of selected users (Publishers/Moderators or similar). That also seem simple. But the clue is that I would like to keep these users out of the back-end and offer them the ability to edit any read-only field of any user from the front-end. I couldn't figure out how to do that on my own.

So is this doable with standard CB or with some extension.

Thanks,
Mike

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2011/01/04 14:26

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #149736 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Front-end editing of read-only fields?
In order to make fields editable on frontend to moderators only you will need our documentation subscriber CB Privacy plugin where you can configure the profile edit "state" of a field. Read Only fields can only be edited from backend, no work around for this.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #149739 by empy
Thanks for the fast reply. Have to look into that option....

Mike

13 years 3 months ago #149743 by krileon
empy wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply. Have to look into that option....

Mike

Keep in mind moderators can be any usergroup you want, so they do NOT have to have backend access as for example you can make all Author users moderators. This is configured within CB configuration on the moderation tab.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #149762 by empy
Thanks,

Yes, the CB Privacy works as expected and does just what I want. I'm still struggling a bit with displaying the data as I want it, but I'm sure I'm going to sort that out now when I can RTFM. :)

Just two comments/questions.

1. "Configuration: Allow Moderators to Edit User Profiles "CB Moderators and levels above" Allows moderators to edit a users profile and to add, change or delete users avatars. Moderators cannot edit same or higher-level moderators"

The last sentence here is a problem for me. My moderators are trusted and I would like them to be able to update the protected fields of themselves and each other. Is there a workaround? Or maybe we need two new setting? Moderators can: Update lower groups, Update lower and same group, Update any group. Moderators can update protected fields in own profile: Yes, No.

2. I found out that locked fields are hidden compleately when editing a profile. I would find it more intuitive to gray them rather than hide them. Is that by design or have I missed some setting?

Mike

Post edited by: empy, at: 2010/12/31 10:04

Post edited by: empy, at: 2010/12/31 10:15

13 years 3 months ago #149788 by krileon

The last sentence here is a problem for me. My moderators are trusted and I would like them to be able to update the protected fields of themselves and each other. Is there a workaround? Or maybe we need two new setting? Moderators can: Update lower groups, Update lower and same group, Update any group. Moderators can update protected fields in own profile: Yes, No.

What the last sentence means if User A is an Author moderator and User B is an Author moderator that they can't edit one another. This protects the moderators. Say if 1 moderator account was compromised it does not risk ALL your moderator accounts, etc.. No workaround for this, sorry.

2. I found out that locked fields are hidden compleately when editing a profile. I would find it more intuitive to gray them rather than hide them. Is that by design or have I missed some setting?

By design they are hidden, no work around. You could for example use a Delimiter field to display the value however. Read Only will gray the fields, but moderators can't edit them from frontend.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn