Validate User Name

4 years 5 months ago #314831 by cpm
Validate User Name was created by cpm
I'm getting a lot of spurious registrations, all use the username = firstname lastname and some add a couple of random uppercase letters at the end. I've been trying to use the custom PERL RegEx in the Authorised Input field, but without success. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #314862 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Validate User Name
If they set their username to their name that's not really any stopping that without code based validation to compare username against name, which is doable with CB Code Field since it provides Code Validation. Sounds like you're just getting spam registrations though which you can help protect against by using captcha provided by CB AntiSpam. Aside from that I'm not sure what kind of validation you're wanting.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #314868 by cpm
Replied by cpm on topic Validate User Name
Thanks Krileon. I was not specific enough, sorry. They set firstname= lastname. Username is firstname + +lastname, giving a username such as Abcdef Abcdef, sometimes Abcdef AbcdefKK. I would like to stop username being = firstname lastname, thus preventing this registration. It is possible that someone has the same first and last names, but not very likely.

4 years 5 months ago #314886 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Validate User Name
Do you not have the username field available for them to actually supply a username? If not it's using the fallback behavior, which you can change what it falls back to within CB > Configuration > User Profile. Otherwise it seams odd they'd supply firstname and lastname also to the username field unless that's what they really wanted. Regardless no it's not possible to do that without some validation that can execute custom code so you'd need CB Code Field to do that.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 5 months ago #314921 by cpm
Replied by cpm on topic Validate User Name
Thanks for that. I've looked at CB Code Field but don't think it's for me but I'll probably give CB Antispam a go. Thanks for your help.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds