#4878 - Userlist issue again

9 years 4 months ago #254431 by nant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #254441 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Userlist issue again

nant wrote: www.joomlapolis.com/members

This is the CB 191 behavior I see with userlist.

I don´t know how to explain it better. It is what this topic is about: With CB 1.9.1 when you submit an empty userlist search form, CB returns the full userlist.

With CB 2.0.3 if you submit an empty userlist search form, CB does not return anything.

Obviously you have made decisions to change how CB reacts to an empty userlist search form submission.

I do not see a reason why this had to be changed and prefer an admin setting to have an option to keep the original CB behaviour.

9 years 4 months ago #254451 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Userlist issue again

KatoKalin wrote:

nant wrote: www.joomlapolis.com/members

This is the CB 191 behavior I see with userlist.

I don´t know how to explain it better. It is what this topic is about: With CB 1.9.1 when you submit an empty userlist search form, CB returns the full userlist.

In CB 1.9.1 when you see a userlist, by default you see the full list and if you click on the search button the search items are expanded.

Under these circumstances if you click the search button without selecting anything, you will see the full list once again.

You can test this on our Members link (given before).

The exact same behavior is present in CB 2.0 when you access a list through the userlist main menu.

In CB 1.9.1 - as far as I know - there was no "official way" (writing it this way as I am not aware what you are doing) to get a user list search form without a full listing.

9 years 4 months ago #254480 by KatoKalin

nant wrote: In CB 1.9.1 - as far as I know - there was no "official way" (writing it this way as I am not aware what you are doing) to get a user list search form without a full listing.

This is weird becaues it works for me this way since the beginng (1.2.x). The internal link is like this: index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userslist&listid=ID&searchmode=1 and has never been changed since then.

It is working with CB 1.9.X. Maybe fundamental changes have been made before 1.9.X but it has been kept functioning for backwards compatibility until 2.0.
However still I do not see a reason why this decision was required. It does not seem to be mandatory and should be optional for compatibility.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #254484 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Userlist issue again
The behavior you were experiencing was bugged. In CB 1.x the searchmode was completely lost on search. So when you would search a searchmode 1 display the searchmode would reset to searchmode 0. This is why doing an empty search resulted in all users displaying. This was fixed with CB 2.x.

I think a more ideal solution is to implement a parameter to enable/disable initial display of users. You would then not even use search mode, but set the following parameters on your userlist.

Menu Item:
Search Mode = Show List

List Parameters:
Hide Empty Searches = No
Collapse Search Criteria = Yes
Hide Initial Users Display = Yes

We need to discuss internally the proposal of the new parameter further, but I've detailed the possible behavior changes in the following feature ticket.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/4924

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #254495 by KatoKalin

krileon wrote: The behavior you were experiencing was bugged. In CB 1.x the searchmode was completely lost on search. So when you would search a searchmode 1 display the searchmode would reset to searchmode 0. This is why doing an empty search resulted in all users displaying. This was fixed with CB 2.x.

I think a more ideal solution is to implement a parameter to enable/disable initial display of users. You would then not even use search mode, but set the following parameters on your userlist.

Menu Item:
Search Mode = Show List

List Parameters:
Hide Empty Searches = No
Collapse Search Criteria = Yes
Hide Initial Users Display = Yes

We need to discuss internally the proposal of the new parameter further, but I've detailed the possible behavior changes in the following feature ticket.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/4924

I am not sure if I have understood correctly what you mean by "Initial Users Display". So I want to make clear again just in case we are talking differently here: My issue is NOT that CB displays the search form together or without users when the user list menu item has been selected.
My issue is, that when I submit the empty search form no users are returned. So if your proposed setting "Hide intitial Users Display" is meant to prevent showing the user list in search mode 1, then it must be made sure that the search itself works with empty search form submission. (I am currently unaware if empty submission is working with all search modes, this needs to be reconfirmed.)

If so, yes I would like to see that setting, as it would not change the behaviour as it is for me currently.

Edit: Not to forget that the behavious is inconsistent. When mode "search form + list" returns the full userlist on empty submisstion but mode "search form only" does not, then it is quite an inconsistent behaviour.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn