Uploading new members requires a password to be uploaded too

2 years 3 months ago #327760 by krileon
That email is Joomla's and that should be turned off. Imports in CB work exactly like you created the user manually from backend. This limits what emails it will send. Am reviewing how to best improve this so it behaves more like a frontend user registration depending on if the imported row is confirmed, approved, etc..

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8825

Best I can suggest for now is import them then try using "Resend Confirmation" button on their rows. The user import wasn't really meant to be used to bypass registration, but to just move existing users. It definitely needs improvement though and will see if I can have it improved sometime this week.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: abqmgweb

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 3 months ago #327769 by krileon
Ok, have massively redone user import behavior. It now properly handles user state, fallback behaviors, and registration emails. It's possible to import users now with as little information as just an email address and it will fallback everything else. Password is also properly sent in the pending confirmation email during import. A new option is also added to suppress emails for new entries. Your CB configuration also no longer needs to be changed as it'll temporarily override the configuration as needed during import.

Once the changes are reviewed and merged a new build release will be available with these improvements.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: abqmgweb

2 years 3 months ago #327777 by abqmgweb
I am glad to hear that import will be easier in the future. Thanks for the suggestion on resending the confirmation email. Having to click 57 boxes and "resend" the confirmation email by row would be very tedious, of course, but it does work - at least it did with my test list.

Since I can't wait for the new and improved processes (I only have until Friday to get these users imported) I have tried many different iterations to see if I could find a work-around and get the emails to go out automatically. This is what finally seems to be working for me:

Under the CB configuration Registration tab, I set "Generate Registration Passwords" to NO; in the test csv file I set requireReset, approved, and confirmed to 1, set block to 0, and included an 8-character password for each user. When I imported the csv file, CB automatically sent out emails that included both the username and password.

I have tested this quite a few times and it seems to be working this way each time. Hopefully it will also work when I import the real list with a lot more rows!

Thanks again for your help, and thank you for your efforts in improving this process going forward!

2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #327782 by krileon
This is all fixed in latest CB build release. The import process will now correctly behave like a normal registration.

You no longer need to touch your configuration as it will internally adjust things as needed during the import. If the password is missing it will generate one and if they're unconfirmed it will send pending email with confirmation link.

Normal registration fallback behavior is also implemented so for example if only Name is supplied it will correctly split and store first/middle/last and vise verse. You can now import users with as little information as just a list of email addresses due to fallback behavior now working. The "gids" column isn't required either now as it'll give them default registration usergroup if it's missing now.

For your usage with the latest build release exclude a password column, set confirmed to 0, and block to 1. That should be all you need to adjust. You can actually exclude the block column entirely if you want as it'll adjust based off confirmed and approved state. An example CSV import file is as follows.

name | username | email | confirmed
tom | tom123 | tom@example.com | 0

Super simple imports like that will work as expected. It will create them with that name, username, and email. It'll generate them a password and since they're marked unconfirmed will email them confirmation link. The email will include their generated password as well.

There's also a new dropdown to turn off emails during import for those that need it. This makes it so you don't have to globally turn off emails just to import users.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.597 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn