CB Registration Query (CB Queries)

13 years 3 months ago #151789 by laptoproadie
CB Registration Query (CB Queries) was created by laptoproadie
Hey, guys. We're using CB Queries and need to have two 'UPDATE' queries happen in the same trigger (after registration), with the second one specifically executing after the first. It doesn't seem that CB Queries supports the use of two queries in one trigger or sql transactions. Any solutions to this? Thanks again!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #151826 by laptoproadie
Replied by laptoproadie on topic Re: CB Registration Query (CB Queries)
The idea is that we want to update a database field and then immediately after increment a counter stored in another field. We would just create another trigger that executed along with the first but it has to happen in order and could cause problems if multiple users were triggering simultaneously.

13 years 3 months ago #151828 by laptoproadie
Replied by laptoproadie on topic Re: CB Registration Query (CB Queries)
We found a potential solution, but I can see how it might not work in the system. Any experts please advise on whether you think this will work.

We have two CB queries that activate on the same trigger, OnAfterUserRegistration, the first is:

UPDATE jos_comprofiler
SET cb_memberid = (SELECT counter
FROM jos_member_id_counter
ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 1)
WHERE id = [cb:userdata field="id" /]

which updates the cb_memberid field for the user just created with the counter field found in jos_member_id_counter

The second query is to increment the counter:

UPDATE jos_member_id_counter SET counter = counter + 1;

Since the second was created after the first, they do execute in the correct order. However this seems like it will very likely break if multiple users are trying to register simultaneously.

Is there any other method you can think of to accomplish this same task? Ideally if we could execute both queries within the first trigger there's little chance a query could get executed in between the two of them, but doing it the way we are now it seems like there's a hole.

Any advice you could give would be most appreciated!

13 years 3 months ago #151916 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB Registration Query (CB Queries)
The execution of the queries is instantaneous and it is not possible to have some sort of mix up if say two users are registering at the same time. What you've setup is the best approach. Multiple queries are accomplished by simply duplicating the trigger (you can use the Copy feature) and re-ordering them as necessary (their order is the order of execution).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn