[SOLVED] MySQL VAR-CHAR problem / max. No. of fields limit

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #155015 by ndee
Hi,

this MySQL VAR-CHAR Limitation has been around for a while now. I set up a testinstall and played with CBSubs profiles, now after setting up 98 fields this error popped up. Especially with CBSubs and different profiles this is limit is reached sooner or later by bigger community sites.

I also suggested a temporary solution here: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/146-general/152971-mysql-var-char-problem-and-temp-solution

How is this solved with CB 2.0?

It would be great if fields are not stored in one table as now in comprofiler. We have now 350 fields and only about 50-70 are releated to each CBSubs plan. Now all fields are loaded for each user, even if they are not related.

I know this was not a problem before CBSubs was available as there was only 1 profile, but now with the flexibility of CBSubs this DB design is limited. I hope you find a flexible and performant solution and are aware of this problem.

Thanks.

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #155020 by krileon

How is this solved with CB 2.0?

We've plans to redo how fields are stored so there won't be a limit anymore. Everything's still in design phase, we've not implemented anything.

We are aware of the issues with fields limit; most installs won't hit this limit and be unaffected, but a few will. We'll be working for CB 2.0 to implement a more acceptable solution to handle large field usage.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #155021 by ndee
Hi Kyle,

thank you for the info. Great to hear that you guys are aware of that.

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn