Capturing IP Address on user registration & login

12 years 11 months ago #159240 by justmebg
I have a situation where I suspect members may be creating multiple accounts under different profile types to gain access to restricted forums. I would like to capture the user's IP address at registration as well as every time they log in to help identify when this may be happening.

I found this article on modifying the CB Login module to do this and adding a column to the backend. Before I go messing with code, I would like to know if 1) there's a better or easier way to do this and 2) if this method is something the CB team feels is valid.

solutionz.yolasite.com/web---joomla/how-get-ip-address-to-the-database-jos_users-table-in-joomla-community-builder-when-users-are-logging-

Beth G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #159318 by krileon
IP address is not a reliable way of tracking logins. For example I have 4 computers through a single router. This means all 4 have the same exact IP address (you can't see my local). So if 3 of the 4 login then you'll see 3 logins from the same IP address. This is majorly prominent if a user is logging in from an internet cafe, hotel internet, school campus, etc.. In addition to this I have a dynamic IP like most of the world so more or less on a weekly basis my IP changes (for all 4 computers). So if you track a single IP address all they need to do is reboot their modem and they've new address.

At any rate the best way to do this is develop an CB plugin to act on the login trigger then store the IP to database for a user. More on trigger usage in tutorials within my signature.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn