[#2783] Error message in User Management and Registration

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #176992 by edjec
J:1.5.23, CB:1.7, CBSubs:1.2.2

Since updating to CB 1.7 and CBS 1.2.2, I am now getting an error message in both the User Management and the registration forms under the user id and email fields. After making updates to a user in User Management, upon clicking Save the system checks the user id and email and reports "error" under both fields, nothing else and the update on the user will save as it should.

Also, I have had several reports from users trying to register that have experienced the same thing in the registration form under the user name and email fields. Some report that the registration continues as normal even with the reported "error" and some complain that the error stops the registration process.

Here is a screen image of the error message.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #177081 by krileon
To prevent the registration or user save from delaying the ajax check will just fail so it doesn't sit there trying to validate as it previously did in CB 1.4. It's working as intended, but maybe not in the most ideal manner; IMO should hide the message entirely. As long as it's not erroring as you're using the actual input (change email or username to test) then there's no cause for concern. I've made a bug ticket as follows however as it shouldn't display anything at all on save actions.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2783

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #177120 by edjec
Thanks Kyle,

It doesn't seem to be causing any issues in the User Management section other than confusion to other admins.

However, on the registration page I have been receiving complaints such as this and they are showing up on other forums discussing our site:

It is simple, I can't get past Step 3 in the joining screens. The password box indicates "error". I've tried 6 ways to Sunday to get beyond this. First I start at the top but I cannot add a password - it shows "error"
I started from the bottom - putting in the password and user name first then went to the top to enter name and address. As soon as I did that the password box went to "error" mode.

and this:

I tried to join again this morning from my corporate business office desk.
it is very clear that you get an "error" when you try to go to the "password" on the bottom of the "Step 3" page.
You can enter your "user name" but no further.

I have not been able to confirm this persons complaints, but I have had similar comments from other administrators concerning the error on the user name in the registration process.

We receive 2-5 registrations and renewals daily without any complaints or errors, but if this is happening randomly, how many might we be loosing(rhetorical question)? Do you think this might be an older browser incompatibility issue for some?

Thanks,
Ed

12 years 6 months ago #177149 by krileon
If it's happening to specific users only then it's likely isolated to those specific users. Maybe JavaScript disabled in their browser? Maybe a browser addon? How are the inputting the username could also be a factor based off what characters they're using, etc.. If there's no way to reliably duplicate over and over then we've no way of confirming the cause other then the Ajax call failed for whatever reason. At any rate will be taking a deeper review of its source for the bug ticket.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #177155 by edjec
This specific user is reporting other problems that have not occurred before as well, so I do suspect browser related problems on his end. I'll monitor the issue and report back if I can identify anything specific.

Thanks again,
Ed

12 years 6 months ago #177203 by edjec
Update:

In further communications with the user reporting the error condition; he states that the browser is now going into an endless loop when verifying the username. This is, of course, a problem even if it only happens randomly, so I have disabled Ajax username checking on registration.

This presents a different issue where if the username is already being used, it does not report back to the new registrant until the registration process is complete and they try to proceed to the payment process. The system takes them back to square one and they must complete the registration form from the beginning. As Martha would say "This is not a good thing".

Naturally, my client is anxious in getting this resolved and is pressing me for a resolution. Do you have any idea of the ETA for the bug fix?

I appreciate your assistance.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn