GroupJive and AddThis

6 years 8 months ago #296289 by LineMine
GroupJive and AddThis was created by LineMine
Hi
I don't suppose there is currently a way to easily add an AddThis snippet so that the buttons appear when groups are opened in GroupJive? I have been able to do this for JEvents, which has a custom layout facility in Admin, see example link below.
Thanks

www.clubmeal.co.uk/calendar/south-east/eventdetail/75815/dungeness-sample-farmers-market

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #296298 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic GroupJive and AddThis
If you just want it at the bottom of the page it'd be easier to just have it as a module. You really don't need AddThis or any other special plugin to share URLs on social sites. You can even share URLs on social sites without any JS libraries. We've done this using the below.

File Attachment:

File Name: lightweigh...hare.txt
File Size:2 KB

You'd add those links to a Custom HTML module or CB Content Module then place it on any page you want to allow sharing. No heavy JS libraries, etc.. Replace the "Share on ..." text with an image if you want them to be image links.

If you still want to insert directly on a groups page though you can use a Code action in CB Auto Actions on the gj_onAfterDisplayGroup trigger. You'd set Method to HTML and echo the results, which should show on the bottom of every group.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #296303 by LineMine
Replied by LineMine on topic GroupJive and AddThis
Hi
Thanks for your quick response. I did wonder about additional page load; seems to add something to total load time, although most of the page loads before the AddThis buttons, so not necessarily an issue.
The code you suggest looks fine, but I'm getting variable results from different social networks: Google + , LinkedIn and Facebook seem to just share the general website URL, or homepage, whereas the Twitter link does actually share the group. Any idea why?

I should add that the groups are under a general menu item, which displays all categories, so you just navigate down to individual groups using the GroupJive category system.
Thanks

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #296304 by krileon
The links share the current browser location. Unless something changes that in JS (which it can't without causing a redirect) it'll always share the current URL. See the bottom of the CB page below for those links in action with images.

www.joomlapolis.com/community-builder

If you mean you're having issues with what URL AddThis is sharing then I've no idea. I don't like such extensions because they actually load in the JS library for each of those social sites. So in our case that's 4 external JS libraries. That unnecessarily adds to page load. In addition to page load it adds their tracking cookies to every page their share buttons are loaded on. Both issues are avoided using the links provided above.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #296305 by LineMine
Replied by LineMine on topic GroupJive and AddThis
Hi

Thank you, just checked and these are all working, so sorry about that.

The only problem is that the links are not showing anything to do with the group page at all, but look like a general site link. Is there a way to improve this?

I seems in fact that this system of links works fine for pages generated by the main Joomla menu system, but maybe not so well for something like GroupJive and its category system? Although strictly speaking the link is correct, and will take you to the right group page, it doesn't load any relevant information on the Facebook (for example) page, which is a shame.

Thanks

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #296307 by krileon
Just like AddThis or any link share it goes based off the page metadata. You can use CB Auto Actions and its Code function to insert metadata onto group pages acting on the gj_onBeforeDisplayGroup trigger. Otherwise you'd need to make a share link for every single group and manually add in the group title, description, etc.. to the share link parameters. Easiest way to do this is to just output open graph metadata. See the below for tag names and details.

developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/webmasters

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: LineMine

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn