[#7225] Accessibility Issues with 2.2.0 and Latest Joomla Release for Administrators

5 years 9 months ago #306196 by irwinb
Greetings,

It seems to me there is a failure to communicate here. I am going to tell you what I have done step by step and show that this isn't working with NVDA.
1. I have 110 Usergroups.
2. I've created a user List that will have about 84 of those groups.
3. When I go into the User List for modification, I tab until I get to Usergroups. It tells me there is a edit box and then it gives me the list box and just starts reading the entire list of contents. Then you tab again and you occasionally get another list where it just says blank.

I cannot even make any selections or remove groups that were previously added.

Here is the version from CB.

Your version is 2.2.0+build.2018.07.11.18.19.31.ea68368f4
Latest version
2.2.0+build.2018.07.11.18.19.31.ea68368f4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #306201 by krileon

3. When I go into the User List for modification, I tab until I get to Usergroups. It tells me there is a edit box and then it gives me the list box and just starts reading the entire list of contents. Then you tab again and you occasionally get another list where it just says blank.

When you first tab to the field it's reading back to you what is already selected, but since you've 84 selected that might take awhile. It'll always say the blank because of the search input, but that's fine to ignore.

I cannot even make any selections or remove groups that were previously added.

Press Enter once you've focused the element then navigate with arrow keys and press enter to make selections. This is the same process you'd use for a single select except you can select more than 1 option.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 9 months ago #306206 by irwinb
I understand what you are saying, but it isn't working for me. Can we verify that the version as stated above is the correct working version? I've tried this with 3 different machines running Chrome and NVDA. No success. Something is missing here. I am sure this is frustrating for you, but not as half as frustrating as it is for me. This is the only thing holding me back from completing a project.

5 years 9 months ago #306208 by krileon
Ensure CB it self is completely up to date. To rule out browser cache (which shouldn't be a problem, but you never know) press ctrl + f5 to refresh the page without cache. Then retry. I'm testing with NVDA 2018.2.1 and Chrome 67.0.3396.99. I'm not sure what more to suggest or do as everything is working fine in my tests. You can apply the change noted below to prevent select2 usage being used entirely and it'll just be a standard multiselect element again if it's still not working to your satisfaction.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/239452-7225-accessibility-issues-with-2-2-0-and-latest-joomla-release-for-administrators?start=12#306181

If other select elements are working fine except that one it may just have too many options to be accessible friendly and you may need to consider reducing the number of usergroups. The screen reader would have to read out a significant amount of options and multiselect accessibility isn't that great even with standard HTML elements and it absolutely is not an option to turn it into a massive multi checkbox field.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 9 months ago #306291 by irwinb
I just want to say thanks to you for the line of code that indeed fixed the issue I was having. What I also noticed by changing this is that when I would try to multiselect on the other that it wouldnt let me. So, we are now good to go. What I would like to see if possible is to have some sort of setting to toggle this on and off so that when there is another update it doesn't break again. Is that possible...? Maybe an accessibility mode that we could toggle? Thanks so much for all your help and understanidng.

5 years 9 months ago #306301 by krileon
That change completely disables select2 usage in backend. There's not likely to be an option to do that. What you're using now is just standard browser select2. We've changed to SelectWoo, which is a fork of select2 to improve accessibility and seams to work fine in my tests so I'm unsure why it wasn't working fine for you. Will continue to investigate potential accessible issues with select2, but doesn't appear to be any serious problems reported below.

github.com/woocommerce/selectWoo/issues

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn