I am still confused with CB Privacy Rule, need specific instructions

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #308992 by shih
On my site, when I linked CB Activity with CB Privacy, the post of activity can't be seen by anyone except for the user who post it. I guess the configuration of CB Privacy still confuses me. May I just post my case, and would you please give me the specific instructions?

This is my Activity Page, I would like :

1. After UserA requests connection to UserB based on their interest of the same book, UserA can interact with UserB by clicking the name of the book.
(Chi-Running, Boundary are the names of the book). I changed the Connection Type to Name of books.

2. Considering UserA may have multiple books of interest so that connections on this site, I hope to let UserA choose the name of the book instead of remembering the name of every users that he connected with. However, usually under each book (Connection Type) he will only have one person connected.

3. For each user, all their posts on Activity should be seen ONLY by the Connection Type they chose.

This is my Rule of Privacy, Would you give me the instructions of how to select each of them?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #309002 by krileon
You disabled the ability to make a Public post by turning off the Public privacy rule. So it defaults to the first privacy rule available since you likely left the Default parameter as Public. The first privacy rule available is Private, which is only visible to moderators and the profile owner. Within CB Privacy > Parameters > Privacy > Display set Default to Connections if you want it to default to having Connections selected for new posts (the user can of course change this using the privacy dropdown).

Regarding connection type usage that's not how connections work. What the user would be setting is that their connections for the selected type can see their activity post.

Seams like you should likely be using CB GroupJive. A book can then just be a group. Users can then join that group and discuss among themselves the book.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #309044 by shih
OK I think I understood how enable/disable buttons work in privacy rule. But by the configuration as below, a user still can't make his connection type to see any posts. Only the poster can see it. I want ONLY their connection type and poster can see the post.

Also in Privacy→Parameter→Privacy→Display, I selected connections:

By the way, because I only want "one user" can talk to "one person" privately, I think connection can do the work. If I use GroupJive, can I still limite just two people in each group? Or do you think any add-on of yours can do the better job?
Attachments:

5 years 3 months ago #309051 by krileon

OK I think I understood how enable/disable buttons work in privacy rule. But by the configuration as below, a user still can't make his connection type to see any posts. Only the poster can see it. I want ONLY their connection type and poster can see the post.

They can select a connection type. The first image of your first screenshot in your first post shows the connection types in the privacy dropdown.

By the way, because I only want "one user" can talk to "one person" privately, I think connection can do the work. If I use GroupJive, can I still limite just two people in each group? Or do you think any add-on of yours can do the better job?

The privacy rule will allow any user with that connection type that the user is connected to to see the post so it's already not going to do what you're wanting. CB GroupJive is community collaboration so no it's not one on one either. If you want one on one use private messaging.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #309071 by shih
>>They can select a connection type. The first image of your first screenshot in your first post shows the connection types in the privacy dropdown.

I tried again but still can't let two people who connected each other to see the other's post. I verified my steps as below:

1. Jerry requested connection to Mark and they got connected.
2. Jerry managed his connection with Mark and put Mark in a "Connection Type" called "Boundary" (see below).

3. Jerry posted on Activity and chose "Boundary", but Mark can't see any Jerry's posts on Mark's Activity Wall. I tried choosing "Connection", Mark still can't see any Jerry's post. In fact, only Jerry can see his own post, but no clues attached to pervious posts indicating to whom he opened this post. By the way, any function can indicating to whom his previous post is open to ?

>>The privacy rule will allow any user with that connection type that the user is connected to to see the post so it's already not going to do what you're wanting. CB GroupJive is community collaboration so no it's not one on one either. If you want one on one use private messaging.

Thanks for the advice. But I am just curious, if Jerry put ONLY Mark in a "Connection Type", I think nobody Except for Mark can see the Jerry's post when Jerry chooses that connection type, is't right? Because I feel CB Activity is more fun when doing the online chatting than a private messaging.

And At Most, how many "Connection Types" can the system set up?
Attachments:

5 years 3 months ago #309080 by krileon
Can Mark even see the Activity tab on Jerry's profile? If not did you set privacy on the entire Activity tab? If so try removing that.

if Jerry put ONLY Mark in a "Connection Type", I think nobody Except for Mark can see the Jerry's post when Jerry chooses that connection type, is't right?

Yes, in that case only Mark should see the post since they're the only connection with that type.

And At Most, how many "Connection Types" can the system set up?

As many as you want.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn