Password reset without sending passwords via email?

5 years 3 months ago #309852 by kommid
I need to move more than 20.000 users from a typo3 driven website to a Joomla/CB website. User profile migration is not a problem, but the passwords are.
Since the passwords on the typo3 site are of course encrypted, there is no way to transfer them to the new server. I would inform my users that they'll have to reset their passwords at their next login, but in Europe with GDPR being active, I don't think it would even be legal, to send a password that should protect personal data in plaintext via email.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #309861 by krileon
Plain text passwords sent in emails only happens for generated password as there is no other means of sending their password. Once you've imported your users you should be able to use the batch tool in Users > Manage to set "Require Password Reset" to "Yes". This has to be done from Joomla user management at this time since we don't have that batch option in CB > User Management yet.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 3 months ago #309940 by kommid
I see, so I import the users and at their first login they use the 'forgot password function' to get a new temporary password, that has to be changed at their first login?
Regards
Markus

5 years 3 months ago #309948 by krileon
I guess your best option is to set their passwords to random passwords. If using CB > User Management import feature you can do that by just leaving password out of your import. They'd then have to use forgot login to get a new temporary password, which of course will be emailed to them as again there's no other way to give them a password that was generated randomly. Eventually forgot login will be replaced to no longer need that, but for now that's how it works.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn