Customizing CB Gallery

5 years 2 months ago #310016 by HCAA
Customizing CB Gallery was created by HCAA
We have significantly customized CB Gallery for our Artist's site (www.hcaaonline.org) both for the main gallery (we call Portfolio) and for each member's Profile Gallery. Unfortunately, each time there is an update, we spend quite a bit of time modifying these files: /components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/default_language/language.php; /components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default/fontawesome.css; /components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_cbgallery/templates/default/template.css; /components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default/jquery/qtip/qtip.css; /components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default/bootstrap.css; and /components/com_comprofiler/plugin/templates/default/template.css.

CB Gallery version 2.4.0+build.2019.01.07.16.33.35.eec2b7e53 was far more than a minor modification, so that many of our "fixes" aren't where we expect them to be. Even though the programming has changed significantly behind the scenes, we have yet to see any actual improvement to the product.

We have restored our site to a pre-2.4 update for the time being and are working on a development server to try to figure it out. We can re-do all the work we did months ago to find all the bits and pieces and what they're called now; however, there are some portions we haven't found at all. For example, the basic look of the Galleries was controlled by the Box Width parameter so that we could control not only the number of thumbnails across each page but the spaces between thumbnails where we inserted a box-shadow to give the images a 3-D appearance. That Box Width option is no longer available, and we've found no way to change the size of the thumbnails, other than modifying the size they are created at when they're uploaded. We have several hundred images, and we're not going to upload all of those to each profile again just to set that thumbnail size. With the new update, the main Gallery has two images side-by-side filling the width of the page (where we previously had 8); in the Profile Gallery there are four images side-by-side (instead of the 5 we had before). All thumbnails are against each other, with no padding or space for a box-shadow. Why have thumbnails at all if you can see only two images at a time and have to scroll way down the page to see the 25 thumbnails we want on each page of the Gallery? What are we missing to customize our pages and allow the much nicer view we used to have?

Additionally, when we hover over a thumbnail in the Profile Gallery, we used to have a pop-up of the title of the image, which we centered, with our choice of colors (and shadow), with a transparent background. Now, the title is justified left, on a white background, and underneath is a date associated with the file, which has no utility at all, and we don't want that date. How can it be removed, how can the background go back to transparent, and how can we change the justification and color of the title text?

When we hover over the thumbnail in the main Gallery (not in a Profile), the title is centered under the image, but it's on a white background. We want a transparent background there, too, with control over the title color and hover appearance.

When we click on a thumbnail, we get a "slideshow" view with a panel to the right with the Artist's name (we've always removed the "time ago" display) and additional information attached to the image. We used to center the title under the image and brightened the color so the title was more visible, along with the X in the upper right which was not at all visible against the black background until made lighter. Now, after the update, the title is nowhere to be found until you hover the mouse cursor over the image, then it appears above the image with a large gap below that before the top of the image begins. It is now stuck in the upper left corner, but it is brighter than before, as is the X to close the display. We want that title on all the time and we want to control where it is. We don't see any options for doing that without more editing of CSS files once we research where the new CSS has been placed.

Some time back we had significant problems using GD2 as the image processing software when we uploaded images, particularly when they were high resolution (large files). When we switched to ImageMagick, it worked perfectly all the time, so we discarded the use of GD2. In the 2.4 update to CB Gallery, there is no longer an option to select ImageMagick. The options are Auto and GD2. One must ask what Auto does if there is only one image processing capability installed. Can we expect the same problems with GD2 we used to have when images simply would not upload at all if they were above a certain size (and, no, it wasn't a host server or Joomla limit; we made everything 20MB but anything above about 4MB, as I recall, would not load at all)? What happened to ImageMagick?

We recognize that you're not in the business of customizing our site, and that's not what we're looking for. We will go through all the files listed above again every time you update the software to get the site looking good; however, this time, our first attempts were met with failure because so many of our modifications (the names of the divs, for example, in CSS) just don't exist in the new programming.

But, if we had only one thing that is a deal-breaker, it's that Box Width option that is no longer available (previously, we set the Album Box Width to 200 and the Media Box Width to 212). Perhaps we've missed it, but we see no way to establish how many thumbnails can be displayed horizontally on either the Profile Gallery or the main Gallery.

Anything you can do to help put us on track would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 2 months ago #310022 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Customizing CB Gallery
CB Gallery 2.4 is a complex UX overhaul improving several aspects of CB Gallery UI to better match modern UI usages and better fit with the latest CB UX improvements. To compare your template files to the defaults simply use a diff program and diff yours with the defaults.

Do not modify default files. Create your own template for that. For core CB you can even use CB Template Change and its new Template Builder to generate a custom CB template. For CB Gallery simply copy the default template folder, rename it, delete what you don't intend on changing, then begin changing the files as desired and adjusting the template parameter in CB Gallery.

Some time back we had significant problems using GD2 as the image processing software when we uploaded images, particularly when they were high resolution (large files). When we switched to ImageMagick, it worked perfectly all the time, so we discarded the use of GD2. In the 2.4 update to CB Gallery, there is no longer an option to select ImageMagick. The options are Auto and GD2. One must ask what Auto does if there is only one image processing capability installed. Can we expect the same problems with GD2 we used to have when images simply would not upload at all if they were above a certain size (and, no, it wasn't a host server or Joomla limit; we made everything 20MB but anything above about 4MB, as I recall, would not load at all)? What happened to ImageMagick?

CB Gallery has no control over this. That's a core CB parameter and it's not showing ImageMagick because the ImageMagick test is failing for whatever reason. You need to be using at least ImageMagick 6.2.9. In addition to this CB Gallery has client side resizing now so you shouldn't have any sizing problems anymore since it will resize things before uploading. As for anything over 4MB you'd need to talk to your host as just sounds like an upload limit problem.

But, if we had only one thing that is a deal-breaker, it's that Box Width option that is no longer available (previously, we set the Album Box Width to 200 and the Media Box Width to 212). Perhaps we've missed it, but we see no way to establish how many thumbnails can be displayed horizontally on either the Profile Gallery or the main Gallery.

The gallery box sizing is gone. It's entirely dynamic now using Bootstrap 4 grid system. It's completely responsive from desktop to mobile. You'll need to adjust the template files and change the Bootstrap 4 grid sizes on the container parent to adjust how many display per row with a maximum of 12 per row. There are no plans to bring those parameters back as they were terrible for responsiveness.

Below is how your gallery should look. If it does not you likely have some CSS conflicts.

demo.cbdemosites.com/addons/cb-gallery

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago #314189 by ericmuc
Replied by ericmuc on topic Customizing CB Gallery
Let me add my wish here:
a further gallery format with a slider: the current image full format and below thumbnails of further images
could be a second output format

4 years 7 months ago #314200 by krileon
Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. CB Gallery is completely template driven. If you want to customize it then feel free to do so. The template folder can be found below.

/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_cbgallery/templates

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding sliders. We are not implementing sliders anywhere. They are bad UX.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago #314206 by ericmuc
Replied by ericmuc on topic Customizing CB Gallery
I meant such a format: www.ignitegallery.com/component-demo/thumbs-at-bottom-gallery
I don't see why this should be bad UX.
OK, I could try to change the template file. Thanks.

4 years 7 months ago #314212 by krileon
Well as I said above I wasn't sure what you were referring to regarding sliders. Your example is fine for embedded content where you've content above and below the gallery, but beyond that it doesn't have much usage. Have added a feature ticket to review implementing something similar primarily for when embedding galleries inside of Joomla articles. It'll be implemented as a template so you could of course use it anywhere you wanted.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7710

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: ericmuc

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn