New Activity works a lot faster!

5 years 1 month ago #311426 by timstohr
New Activity works a lot faster! was created by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
The new activity works a LOT faster.

If you can bring down the loading time to 200ms that would be awesome! forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7497#change-19394

Kudos!

Tim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 4 weeks ago #311437 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic New Activity works a lot faster!
Load time with 1 million activity entries and 1 million comment entries should be less than 100ms at this point or at least is in my tests. Previously such an environment would take around 2s. It's mostly a 2 part issue. The prefetching and the pagination.

The prefetching checks to see if there's comment, likes, or tags for an activity entry as fast as possible. This lets CB Activity know "I should check for comments and display them". So for example if you display 15 activity entries and only 3 have comments it doesn't bother querying for comments except for those 3 due to the prefetch. This basically is to favor doing a 1ms query over a slower one.

The second part, which isn't fixed yet and can be tracked below, is the pagination. It's still old school. Meaning it does a count query to determine if there's more than 1 page then does the select query for the actual display. So you get double query on initial view. All of that is pointless in a stream environment since we don't care how many there are. All we need to know is PAGE LIMIT + 1. If the amount of rows returned is greater than PAGE LIMIT we know we've another page. The second issue with the paging is it's offset based so it's doing LIMIT 0, 15. This is fine below 100,000 rows but if you have something like LIMIT 100000, 15 it gets exponentially slower. I'll be reviewing timestamp offset based paging which offsets in the WHERE statement by the last seen timestamp then just grabbing the next 15 rows, which should scale infinitely.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7503

The goal after fixing the paging issues is to hit around 10-20ms for a 1 million row database. I don't think I can really get it any better at that point without maybe a full storage rewrite to use relationship tables and transition to a push based usage, but I doubt anyone would like that since that massively increases database storage slowing down write access but boosting read access.

As it stands though performance is excellent with a large amount of data so you shouldn't really have any noticeable performance issues at this point having fixed the prefetch queries.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn