Use Case related to Activity and Privacy settings

4 years 3 months ago #316094 by liaskas
We have created 3 usergroups that are related to User group A. The idea is the following...

User group A
User group A Technical Department
User group A Sales Department
User group A Service Department

Those usergroups do not show in privacy settings when a user creates a new post. We do not want them to show!

But we need all posts that are targeted to "User group A" to be visible also these 3 usergroups mentioned above.

Is it possible to accomplish that with an Auto Action and how?

Example...

I make a post in the timeline and i choose User group A in the privacy settings.

This post is also visible to...
User group A Technical Department
User group A Sales Department
User group A Service Department

no matter if i have chosen these user groups.

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #316098 by krileon
That should be doable as long as your other usergroups are child groups of group A. Example as follows.

Public
- Registered
- - Usergroup A
- - - Technical Department
- - - Sales Department
- - - Service Department

Setting the privacy to Usergroup A should allow the 3 child usergroups to also see it due to inheritance.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 3 months ago #316129 by liaskas
Yes... but...

Child groups are, as you say, included due to inheritance.

When a user that belongs to a child group creates an activity, his activity asset stores the parent group asset!

Example:

Public
- Registered
- - Usergroup A
- - - Technical Department
- - - Sales Department
- - - Service Department

User that belongs to Service Department child group creates an activity.

The asset of the created activity is not profile.[user_id].servicedepartment (servicedepartment = [field]

but it is...

profile.[user_id].usergroupa

In the above example we are using the user group field as stored field in the asset.

How can we bypass this issue?

Thank you in advance.

4 years 3 months ago #316137 by krileon
If you're using multiple assets for activity and you want your stream to output multiple assets then add multiple assets to it. As the description states it supports a comma list of assets. So if you want it to display both servicedepartment and usergroupa activity then just add both assets to it as follows.

profile.[user_id].servicedepartment,profile.[user_id].usergroupa

You can even use IF substitutions in it to condition the asset based off profile data. Example as follows.

[cb:if cb_profiletype="servicedepartment"]profile.[user_id].servicedepartment,[/cb:if]profile.[user_id].usergroupa

The above for example only uses the servicedepartment asset if cb_profiletype is equal to servicedepartment. The usergroupa asset is always used. The first asset supplied is the asset used for storage so order is only important in that regard. This means a user with servicedepartment asset in the above examples will have their activity stored with that asset and usergroupa is strictly for display purposes.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #316160 by liaskas
Thank you for replying Krileon.

Probably i was not clear enough. The problem is not on what viewers see.

The problem is that the Asset is stored wrong. On your reply you are talking about "profile.[user_id].servicedepartment".

But this asset exists nowhere because the asset of the child categories (servicedepartment) is stored as "profile.[user_id].usergroupa"

profile.[user_id].servicedepartment exists nowhere!

How can we output something that does not exist?

example...

i am a user of child group "servicedepartment"

i make a new post. My post is stored with asset: profile.[my_id].usergroupa.

"usergroupa" is the parent group.

4 years 3 months ago #316164 by krileon
The only reason for your post to store with an asset of profile.[my_id].usergroupa is because you changed the asset for the activity stream. At this point I don't understand what you're trying to do anymore, sorry. The usergroup structure proposed is to allow for your privacy selection usage to work since privacy selection of a usergroup respects inheritance. Now you're talking about issues with the asset so at this point I've no idea what your issue is now. Please describe exactly what you want your stream to do.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn