Turn Off Autofill

4 years 2 months ago #316259 by Spiralmind
Turn Off Autofill was created by Spiralmind
Hello, we use this for a application to join or renew. It has worked well for the last 2 years but some update must of turned on autofill and now people's password is being entered in the change password field even if they are not in that tab on our site. This then throws and error when they try and save their profile because they are not changing the password and have not idea what is going on.

I have had other extensions that disabled the browser autofill in their code and had them change it to allow it. So I think this is the issue. I tested it in Chrome and was able to replicate that issue.

Can you make this a setting or show me where it is if this is one now? It's causing a huge influx of support requests.

Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #316262 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Turn Off Autofill
Autofill is entirely a browser behavior. We already add the autocomplete="off" to the input and to the form element it self. Whether a browser or browser extension respects it is entirely up to the browser and extension.

The only way to truly stop it is a delayed javascript that wipes the input, which does nothing but potentially bug the input making it unusable or breaking legitimate autofill. We've no plans to implement such javascript (you can do so your self using CB Auto Actions and a Code action or by adding the JS to your Joomla template), but we do have plans to explore adding the new autocomple attribute values to see if those will help; see the below regarding this.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7725

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 months ago #316265 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Turn Off Autofill
That's strange, it never happened until recently. Now it's causing a lot of issues. Is there any way to verify this on my site? I cannot imaging Chrome is not honoring this.

The other question then is could I move the Tab or option to change the password so it's not on the form?

4 years 2 months ago #316269 by krileon

That's strange, it never happened until recently. Now it's causing a lot of issues. Is there any way to verify this on my site?

Verify that autocomplete="off" is on the password input? Right click and inspect element to use your browsers developer tools if you'd like to check, but it's absolutely there.

I cannot imaging Chrome is not honoring this.

Unfortunately I've bad news in that regard. Chrome does not care about autocomplete attribute. We're going to attempt to use some of the more specialized values to try and get Chrome to respect it, but that's not a guarantee and could just break it in other browsers. The only real solution to this problem is for browsers to stop ignoring it. Will reviewing potential solutions when reviewing the other autocomplete attribute values in a later release.

For whatever unknown reason Chrome as of around version 70 started ignoring all autocomplete attributes. There's even a long standing ticket regarding this since 2016.

bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=587466

I've no clue what started this trend, but the workaround is typically some odd javascript behavior that could end up blocking the entire form if JS is disabled or there's a JS error of some kind. These solutions typically do a input name swap. Basically the password inputs name is output as something random then after the page has loaded and a short delay the name is restored. If JS fails it breaks the forms ability to even submit a password. Other solutions temporarily disable the input, but again same result if JS fails. There's no pretty solution that I'm aware of yet, but we'll continue to look into it further.

The other question then is could I move the Tab or option to change the password so it's not on the form?

That is not possible. Profile edit can not be split into multiple pages.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 2 months ago #316273 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Turn Off Autofill
OK, I will tell them to use a profile with no autofill or a browser that honors it. Do you know if Firefox honors the form settings? Or perhaps Edge or Safari? Then we can just tell them what browser to use.

Thanks for your help.

4 years 2 months ago #316288 by krileon
They don't need to change their browser and no user will for one particular site. They just need to be aware of what autofill does and is doing. No browser has to respect the autocomplete attribute. Your alternative is to implement a JS solution yourself to prevent autofill from impacting profile edit. You can output your custom JS using CB Auto Actions and a Code action acting on onAfterUserProfileEditDisplay, but you will need to write such JS yourself.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds