Not able to edit some language strings

3 years 10 months ago #318500 by Abmago
I know that translation projects are not always 100% complete, but I thought it should be able to edit every language string manually. Or am I wrong?

However, I believe it is not always possible to find the right language string at this moment. For example, in CB Invite I expect a language string for the text 'body' that appears on the screen when the user writes his personal message to his invited guest. In my Dutch language package the word 'body' has not been translated yet, so I want to do it by myself. But I can not find the right language string by searching for 'body'.

What should I do to change the word 'body' in my installation?

I have also some other examples (especially in CB Activity), but I first want to learn from the example described above.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 10 months ago #318512 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Not able to edit some language strings
You can add custom translations using language overrides functionality shown below.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18701-language-overrides-have-arrived

It has a built in language finder as shown below.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18712-language-key-and-text-finder

I also recommend anyone with the skill or time that is already translating incomplete languages to consider contributing to the localization project for that language. You can find out more info below.

www.joomlapolis.com/localization

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 10 months ago #318514 by Abmago
Replied by Abmago on topic Not able to edit some language strings
I know how language strings work and I have already made some succesful changes. However, my problem is that I can not find a language string for 'body', although it should exist to my believe. When I search with key = 'body' some language strings appear, but not the right one. So I am not able to translate 'body' into a userfriendly, Dutch word. The string 'body' is just an example, because I have difficulties with some more strings.

3 years 10 months ago #318517 by krileon
You're likely experiencing the below bug.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7432

If the backend language is the same language as the language plugin you're editing the language finder ends up missing the default language strings causing the language finder to fail in some cases. The workaround is to switch backend to English or use the language finder on the default language plugin to find a language key.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 10 months ago #318541 by Abmago
Replied by Abmago on topic Not able to edit some language strings
I have used language finder on the default language plugin to find a language key. Unfortunately, this makes no difference. I do not understand why important language strings are not in my system. E.g. 'What's on your mind' (from CB Activity) can not be found by language finder.

3 years 10 months ago #318549 by krileon
Switch your backend language to English and see if it works fine then. Beyond the above known bug there's no other known issues with the language finder.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn