Activity set up

3 years 3 months ago #322115 by silverman1
Activity set up was created by silverman1
I have installed CB Activity but I'm having some problems setting it up and understanding all the parameters in the settings.

In the users activity tab it shows the users own posts, and the posts of that users connections. Can I make it so that it only shows the users own posts, and not show their connections posts on that tab? And then the opposite, another tab that only shows the posts of the users connections. I would like to have them separated. One tab with users own post and one tab with all the connections posts. How can I do this?

On your demo site there is a About tab where you display both the User info on the left, and the User status on the right. If I order the tabs so that the About tab is first and in position "Canvas main middle", and the User status in the position "Canvas main right", it works. But I want this tab to be second or third. I tried all kinds of combinations, but I can't seem the get this to work. So how can I have the User info and the User status on the same tab but not as the first, main tab.

Where can I edit the "Actions", like Feeling Happy, Drinking Tea etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #322132 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Activity set up

In the users activity tab it shows the users own posts, and the posts of that users connections. Can I make it so that it only shows the users own posts, and not show their connections posts on that tab? And then the opposite, another tab that only shows the posts of the users connections. I would like to have them separated. One tab with users own post and one tab with all the connections posts. How can I do this?

That's possible using an activity field, but why? Defeats the entire point of it being an activity stream. Profile activity streams only show your connections activity when you are viewing it. If you view another users profile you will only see their activity.

On your demo site there is a About tab where you display both the User info on the left, and the User status on the right. If I order the tabs so that the About tab is first and in position "Canvas main middle", and the User status in the position "Canvas main right", it works. But I want this tab to be second or third. I tried all kinds of combinations, but I can't seem the get this to work. So how can I have the User info and the User status on the same tab but not as the first, main tab.

The demo site is using a Custom HTML field with HTML and substitutions to accomplish that. This is provided with CB Quickstart. Suggest reviewing the cb_profile_about field and its language strings on our demo site for an example.

Where can I edit the "Actions", like Feeling Happy, Drinking Tea etc.

Within CB Activity > Actions in backend. You can also use language overrides as shown below to override their language strings.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18701-language-overrides-have-arrived

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: silverman1

3 years 3 months ago #322253 by silverman1
Replied by silverman1 on topic Activity set up
A few more questions about the Activity plugin.

What counts as similar when you use "Hide similar activity"? If the user makes a post that contains the same words?

If I have disabled all comments, is there any use for the "Unfollow this activity" option? I guess if there are no comments, there can be no more activities to a post?

Not sure I understand the Follow-field. If a have a connection with a user, then I'm following that user's activity automatically. Shouldn't the "Follow button" then also show that I am following that user. The Follow button now displays the option to "follow" someone that you already are connected to and are already following. Or is it me who have completely misunderstood the term "Follow" :blush:

3 years 3 months ago #322278 by krileon

What counts as similar when you use "Hide similar activity"? If the user makes a post that contains the same words?

Hiding by similar activity hides based off the asset of the activity entry. So if you hide a profile activity post and hide by similar it should hide all profile activity posts from that profile stream.

If I have disabled all comments, is there any use for the "Unfollow this activity" option? I guess if there are no comments, there can be no more activities to a post?

Following doesn't have anything to do with commenting.

Not sure I understand the Follow-field. If a have a connection with a user, then I'm following that user's activity automatically. Shouldn't the "Follow button" then also show that I am following that user. The Follow button now displays the option to "follow" someone that you already are connected to and are already following. Or is it me who have completely misunderstood the term "Follow"

Connecting with someone does not follow them (although it can with CB Auto Actions). A stream does not have to output your connections activity. It could output your activity and the activity of things you are following only if you like. This is all based off the Asset of the stream. You can follow someone without connecting with them as well.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #322297 by silverman1
Replied by silverman1 on topic Activity set up

Hiding by similar activity hides based off the asset of the activity entry. So if you hide a profile activity post and hide by similar it should hide all profile activity posts from that profile stream.

But then is it the same as "Hide Activity from Username"? This one also hides all activity posts from that profile stream.

Following doesn't have anything to do with commenting.

Ok, I thought that if I unfollow a users activity post, then I would stop getting updates about what is happening in that post.

Then how do I use the follow-field? If "Asset" is left blank, what happens if I press the follow button? What do I follow and where does this output?

Connecting with someone does not follow them (although it can with CB Auto Actions). A stream does not have to output your connections activity. It could output your activity and the activity of things you are following only if you like. This is all based off the Asset of the stream. You can follow someone without connecting with them as well.

And this is done by activity filters I suppose? So if a want a stream to output only my own activity posts, I can set it to Asset: profile? But where does this filter appear? I made this filter but I can't see it in my profile.

3 years 3 months ago #322305 by krileon

But then is it the same as "Hide Activity from Username"? This one also hides all activity posts from that profile stream.

No, hiding all activity from a user does exactly that. Hiding similar would just hide posts they make on their profile, but not any of their other activity (e.g. they created a new group, connected with another user, shared photos, etc..).

Ok, I thought that if I unfollow a users activity post, then I would stop getting updates about what is happening in that post.

You would if you weren't connected with them or you configured your profile streams to not show connected activity.

Then how do I use the follow-field? If "Asset" is left blank, what happens if I press the follow button? What do I follow and where does this output?

Follow fields by default follow the users profile.

And this is done by activity filters I suppose? So if a want a stream to output only my own activity posts, I can set it to Asset: profile? But where does this filter appear? I made this filter but I can't see it in my profile.

This is done by Asset. I guess you can use a filter if you wanted though since you can apply asset filters.

For example edit the Activity tab in CB > Tab Management. This is responsible for displaying the profile activity tab. Under Parameters set Asset to the following.

profile,following

Now it shows profile activity and the activity of whatever you're following. It won't show connection activity unless you're following that user. If you intend on changing the default behavior read the Asset parameter description carefully.

As for filters lets assume you want a filter to only show activity you're following. As like above edit the Activity tab in CB > Tab Management. Next under Parameters > Filters as the following filter.

Filter: Following
Assets: following

That's all that is necessary. You should now have a filter bar on the activity tab where you can select this filter. You can also have one that just shows connection activity using the following.

Filter: Connections
Assets: connectionsonly

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds