Activity set up

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #322350 by silverman1
Replied by silverman1 on topic Activity set up

No, hiding all activity from a user does exactly that. Hiding similar would just hide posts they make on their profile, but not any of their other activity (e.g. they created a new group, connected with another user, shared photos, etc..).

But when I try this it doesn't work. User1 shares a photo. User2 (connection) sees the photo and clicks "Hide similar activity". Then ALL activity from User1 is hidden. And when User2 goes to User1 profile it says "No activity to display.". Even tho this user has many posts, both text, new connections and photos.

Ok. So if I want three different streams:
The default stream to show everything, My activity, my connections activity, and the activity of users I follow.
Stream 2 - Only my connections activity and the activity of users I follow.
Stream 3 - Only my activity.

So if I understand it right I can do that like this:
Leave the Asset empty in the activity-tab.
Filter 1 - Asset: connectionsonly,followingonly
Filter 2 - Asset: profile

Two other things I noticed:
In the demo-site, in the Follow-field you have set the Asset to "profile.[user_id]". What does that do? Whats the difference to leaving it empty?

In the Activity parameter settings. I understand that "Activity - Comments - Create" controls if a user can create comments in other peoples posts. But what comments does the "Comments - Create" setting control?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #322358 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Activity set up

But when I try this it doesn't work. User1 shares a photo. User2 (connection) sees the photo and clicks "Hide similar activity". Then ALL activity from User1 is hidden. And when User2 goes to User1 profile it says "No activity to display.". Even tho this user has many posts, both text, new connections and photos.

Then those activity entries have a similar asset. Again, hide similar just hides by asset. You can directly check this in CB Activity > Hidden. It will tell you exactly what is being hidden.

Ok. So if I want three different streams:
The default stream to show everything, My activity, my connections activity, and the activity of users I follow.
Stream 2 - Only my connections activity and the activity of users I follow.
Stream 3 - Only my activity.

That is all doable either as separate streams or the better option would be to just add filters to the profile stream.

So if I understand it right I can do that like this:
Leave the Asset empty in the activity-tab.
Filter 1 - Asset: connectionsonly,followingonly
Filter 2 - Asset: profile

Correct.

Two other things I noticed:
In the demo-site, in the Follow-field you have set the Asset to "profile.[user_id]". What does that do? Whats the difference to leaving it empty?

It follows the asset supplied. If one isn't supplied it will default to profile.[user_id]. The demo site is using CB Quickstart which will create a follow field and strictly set the asset. If you want it to follow profiles you can just leave it empty if you like.

In the Activity parameter settings. I understand that "Activity - Comments - Create" controls if a user can create comments in other peoples posts. But what comments does the "Comments - Create" setting control?

Comment streams are independent. They don't just belong to activity. Those parameters control those independent comment streams globally. So for example comments on Joomla articles or as a comment field.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 2 months ago #322370 by silverman1
Ok, great! I think I understand it a little bit better now.

Then those activity entries have a similar asset. Again, hide similar just hides by asset. You can directly check this in CB Activity > Hidden. It will tell you exactly what is being hidden.

It says Type:Activity Asset, Asset:profile.279. I haven't changed any assets, I think I have them at the deafult setting.
Can I remove the Hide similar Activity link, or hide from the menu with CSS? I can't find the css-classname for this item.

3 years 2 months ago #322372 by krileon

It says Type:Activity Asset, Asset:profile.279.

Then you're hiding all activity with that asset or prefixed with that asset.

Can I remove the Hide similar Activity link, or hide from the menu with CSS?

No, why do you need to do this?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 2 months ago #322374 by silverman1

Then you're hiding all activity with that asset or prefixed with that asset.

It is the same if a use hide similar on a shared photo, or if I use it on a text post. Everything gets hidden.
So how do I change this? So that It only hides shared photos, or only hides text-posts.

No, why do you need to do this?

Because it's not working as it should. And I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

3 years 2 months ago #322375 by krileon

It is the same if a use hide similar on a shared photo, or if I use it on a text post. Everything gets hidden.

If you're sharing a photo directly on the stream then it will have a profile.USER_ID asset and the hide feature is working fine because despite you only uploading a photo it is still a regular activity post. Uploading directly to CB Gallery will generate activity with a different asset. You can see what asset an activity has in CB Activity > Asset.

So how do I change this? So that It only hides shared photos, or only hides text-posts.

You can't. It depends entirely on how something was shared and where. This should be improved in the future when the database stored Asset structure goes away for a more standardized structure and then the hide feature can be improved more to support doing that. For now it can only hide entire assets with hide similar.

Because it's not working as it should. And I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

It is working as it should. It entirely depends on the context of the activity.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds