[SOLVED] Error occurred during the moving of the uploaded file. Method: Move

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #213786 by urbanguru
Hey All,

I am having an issue with registered users being able to upload an avatar image. I get this error message: Error occurred during the moving of the uploaded file. Method: Move. I thought it might be a folder permissions issue, but I don't know what folder it saves these images to. I pretty much maxed out the permissions on all folders I found that held images and that didn't work. I believe the installation when OK. I hope someone has a quick and easy answer for this one. Thanks! Oh, as a last note, the images are not showing up from the existing gallery. I have checked the folder and all the images are there. I'm thinking that there is a setting that I have missed that is not telling CB where to store the images and where to find the gallery folder for the existing images. Where would I find that setting?

Sorry, I keep updating. I tried to reinstall CB and I got this error message:
<span>/</span>var<span>/</span>www/vhosts/weeklybanter.com/httpdocs/images/comprofiler/gallery/ Failed to be to be created, please do so manually !

Manually do the following:
1.) create <span>/</span>var<span>/</span>www/vhosts/weeklybanter.com/httpdocs/images/comprofiler/ directory
2.) chmod it to 755 or if needed to 775
3.) create <span>/</span>var<span>/</span>www/vhosts/weeklybanter.com/httpdocs/images/comprofiler/gallery/
4.) chmod it to 755 or if needed to 775
5.) copy <span>/</span>var<span>/</span>www/vhosts/weeklybanter.com/httpdocs/components/com_comprofiler/images/gallery/ and its contents to <span>/</span>var<span>/</span>www/vhosts/weeklybanter.com/httpdocs/images/comprofiler/gallery/

I followed all the instructions and it still does not work. I don't know why It has these errors in the first place. I hope this gives enough information for help. Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #213955 by krileon
Check that tmp and cache directory are configured properly in configuration.php. Next ensure both have appropriate permissions. It's a PHP error moving from PHP tmp to the destination, basically strictly permissions issue.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: urbanguru

11 years 4 months ago #213968 by urbanguru
Hey! First, thanks for getting back to me. I wasn't sure if I could post in the advanced level forum because I let my subscription laps. But thanks for the heads up. I did get it fixed though and it was not a bug with CB, it was all my fault. I feel I should explain though since it might help others.

So I had been racking my brain on these Permissions issues for the last three days and I finally got in contact with a support person who knew exactly what I did. Here is a little story about knowing just enough to get yourself into trouble. I was running my server in Apache and I was having folder permission issues. I did a little digging a found that if I used SSH I could manually change the folder permissions and make them writable. So I started this process. Unfortunately I found that you have to change the permissions of each folder one at a time. This was going to take forever. So I did some more digging and found that the best way to take care of permissions issues in Plesk is to change the PHP Support to run as FastCGI instead of Apache. So I changed this. That's when things turned to shit. Not really though. Stupid little thing were breaking like being able to write files to the image folder when uploading an avatar in your profile. I checked the folder permissions again and they were maxed out.

Three days later it was finally explained to me by a support angel from my hosting company. See, by changing the permissions manually to 777 on some of the folders, I made it possible for anyone to write to these folders. Fine, but once Apache writes to a folder, it take ownership of that folder and dose not allow FTP Client to write to these folders anymore. So bam! I did not even know that but it makes perfect sense now. All my problems have been solved. All the folders are now back to 755 and no longer owned by Apache as they should be. I hope this helps someone else who might do what I did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn