Zip Code Radius

12 years 1 month ago #192675 by edsloan
Zip Code Radius was created by edsloan
I have a website that needs members to be able to connect to each other within a certain mile radius. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on buying a subscription to CB upon finding this one feature.

I keep finding absolutely nothing about this when it comes to community builder and it's just hard for me to believe that this isn't needed by many people.

I've found many PHP scripts on the web showing how to calculate the distance between zip codes, but my PHP skills in adding this functionality to a profile zip code search are just not quite there yet.

I may have to hire someone who can put this in for me, but that just means that I'll have it on my website and it won't be available for everyone else's use and I'd rather this community to be able to benefit from this. If someone is feeling creative and wants to have the necessary code to make this happen, here are some links that could be helpful.

www.micahcarrick.com/php-zip-code-range-and-distance-calculation.html

code.google.com/intl/en-EN/apis/maps/articles/phpsqlajax.html

federalgovernmentzipcodes.us/

This is the only thing left I need to complete the website and I've seen it asked before on this forum so I know I'm not the only one asking about this feature. Someone could make some great money for this one feature!

Thanks for you reply!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #200932 by sfraise
Replied by sfraise on topic Re: Zip Code Radius
I just built a component for CB that has an AJAX location radius search along with a customized cb login module with a light box registration form using dependent drop down location fields in order to keep the locations all uniform.

You can see a demo at extensions.erecoverydev.com/index.php?option=com_cbajaxsearch

You can purchase the component for $50 at extensions.erecoverydev.com/index.php?option=com_dms&view=category&layout=table&Itemid=6

11 years 10 months ago #201219 by socialfan
Replied by socialfan on topic Re: Zip Code Radius
can you provide demo access to be.

I didnt find "Köln" in germany thats the 5th largest town in that country.
Maybe cause it has an ö?

Posible to define fields searchable?

Possible to search only based on zip field and predefine country (now drop down / country / state etc)?

demo looks great.

11 years 9 months ago #201414 by sfraise
Replied by sfraise on topic Re: Zip Code Radius
Hi socialfan, the dataset I'm using for the locations I've noticed leave out towns that have the same zip-code as other towns, could that maybe be the issue there?

Once I finish the Joomla 2.5 compatible version I'm going to start working on a new version that will allow for custom fields, hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll get the next version out. Will also have extra countries added.

The component can be customized to do away with the drop downs and just use zip-code but I won't really have time to do that for at least the next few weeks.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds