Disabling Email Field on User Profile?

18 years 3 months ago #1022 by edenapple
Disabling Email Field on User Profile? was created by edenapple
Hello,

Is it possible to disable the ability of users changing their email address in their Profile Settings?

If so, could you please let me know how.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #1154 by edenapple
Replied by edenapple on topic Re:Disabling Email Field on User Profile?
Anyone?

Post edited by: edenapple, at: 2005/12/02 03:42

18 years 3 months ago #1157 by nant
This is a Joomla issue.
It is handled by CB using Joomla functionality.

18 years 3 months ago #1521 by edenapple
Hi Nant,

Thanks for your reply.

I popped a post on Joomla forum regarding this and the response I got there sort of suggested me to come back and ask again.

All I really need to do is take out the email field on the user profile, no need to "disable" it so to speak, just remove it from the "Update Profile" page so Users cant access it.

If you could tell me which line (if its possible) to remove to completely take out the E-Mail field I would appreciate it.

Below is a url to a screenshot of what I mean is the problem...As you can see "Username" is greyed out and un-edittable...If I can do the same with the E-Mail field then great...but if not, cant I just stop the input box from appearing on the page? (and just have it ONLY on the very first registration page users use to create an account on my Joomla site)

www.theomen.co.uk/cb/example.gif

Would appreciate some further help with this.

Post edited by: edenapple, at: 2005/12/07 09:19
Attachments:

18 years 3 months ago #1525 by rick
I have used many systems that use the email as a form of validation, communication, sending of passwords, etc. What I am saying is that this is a very important field. So the question that I have is what happens when someone changes the ISP, email etc. When this occurs a user must have the ability to update that info, if not the system will in effect become dysfunctional. I would take a serious look at the idea of disabling this function.

Now I do have a suggestion for CB. My guess is that the reason you don't want this to be disabled is that you don't want them to change their email to an invalid email That is something I would also like to prevent. The solution is to have CB send a validation email to the new email address. The system would hold the original email until the validation link was clicked. In this way the system always has a valid email and the users still have the ability to change their email. Just my 2 cents...

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 3 months ago #1526 by edenapple
You are correct in your assumption Rick.

The method you describe is excellent, and completely logical. However, I cant see this being implemented in the immediate future?

I need a quick fix so to speak to eliminate the ability for invalid email addresses to be entered. Its a huge hole for me to have this ability on the site (I know its been there for some time, but only recently has it become very relevant for me personally).

If you are aware of a way to send a second validation email then I would snap it up immediately.

However if there isnt one I would appreciate some instructions on how to disable the field as my previous post states.

E.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn