Copying documents from Microsoft Word to JCE

17 years 7 months ago #18125 by dracon32
Tried searching and couldn't find anything. I don't even know if I'm in the right area or not. :P

We are using JCE for the WYSIWYG editor. We are taking documents from Microsoft Word and copy/pasting them into new content items. It worked great at first, it kept all the formatting, spacing, alignments, etc. But now when I try to do it, it will not accept any paragraphing. All the other formatting will appear, but all paragraphs are taken out and the document is just mashed together now. As far as I know there haven't been any chances since when it worked to when it stopped working.

I tried using the different paste options (such as paste from word) but it didn't keep the orginal formatting or continued to mash the document together.

Does anyone know a fix for this issue or could provide some guidence?? Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #18127 by mikko
I had the same problem. It is caused by Word being unable to make clean html.

The best option that I have found was to install open office, load the word document there, export to html and then copy-paste.

Other option would be to use frontpage if you wish to use ms products.

mikko

17 years 7 months ago #18135 by dracon32
Thanks for the info. Any idea of why it worked before??

We're trying to convert all our Word documents from just being scattered directory paths to a nice knowledge base using Joomla. Can you think of any recomendations of an editor that might make up for Word not formatting properly??

17 years 7 months ago #18137 by mikko
I spent considerable amount of time figuring this out myself. The approach that worked for me was open office. One option is to buy a product that cleans word-html to proper html. I could not find any free product that would do this in a way that would have satisfied my needs.

mikko

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn