The age old CB question....CB LOGIN!

18 years 4 months ago #2328 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:The age old CB question....CB LOGIN!
Nick,

Not to disagree but I have a closed community site so #2 I also have as registered as I don't want the public to see or have access to the online users.

As to #3 why would you have it as registered and not special. Does the workfolw module have any use to the registered users? I was under the impression that it was just for the administrators/moderators. If it has a use for the general registered population then I will change it.

Thanks for all your help :)

Post edited by: rick, at: 2005/12/17 19:34

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 4 months ago #2329 by rick
psquillace,

Just expand on Crash's post, if you check the stats from the back end on browsers you will find that the overwelming majority of users (about 70%) are still IE. I like FireFox as well but to be honest I have had more compatability issues related to it than to IE. So I agree completly with Crash, you MUST build for all browsers or you WILL cut off most of your potential users to spite your face as they say. ;)

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 4 months ago #2330 by psquillace
Replied by psquillace on topic Re:The age old CB question....CB LOGIN!
rick wrote:

psquillace,

Just expand on Crash's post, if you check the stats from the back end on browsers you will find that the overwelming majority of users (about 70%) are still IE. I like FireFox as well but to be honest I have had more compatability issues related to it than to IE. So I agree completly with Crash, you MUST build for all browsers or you WILL cut off most of your potential users to spite your face as they say. ;)

Thanks Rick for the advice. It seems overwhelmingly the same response all around....

dont be lazy next time.. :laugh:

18 years 4 months ago #2335 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:The age old CB question....CB LOGIN!
rick wrote:

Nick,

Not to disagree but I have a closed community site so #2 I also have as registered as I don't want the public to see or have access to the online users.

As to #3 why would you have it as registered and not special. Does the workfolw module have any use to the registered users? I was under the impression that it was just for the administrators/moderators. If it has a use for the general registered population then I will change it.

Thanks for all your help :)

Post edited by: rick, at: 2005/12/17 19:34

Not unhealthy to disagree once in a while B) - I can see your argument about #2. I personally feel that letting all that have not registered see a healthy active site with many online users motivates them to join ;) - just my opinion - both arguments are valid and its up to the admin to decide.

The moderator module was renamed to workflow because it has added the connection workflows pending for a user. So if a registered user has a pending connection request and the module is published for registered users he will see one pending workflow request in this module. At the same time if a moderator is viewing the module he might see other workflows related to his moderator status and also workflows related to his connection requests (if any). Again both approaches are valid.

18 years 4 months ago #2339 by rick
Thanks for the quick answer Nick. I agree with both of your points in an open environment. On my main closed board I keep my online users hidden from the public. Also the connections are made without consent so I am assuming the workflow is not needed in that case.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 3 months ago #3209 by crash777
Replied by crash777 on topic Re:The age old CB question....CB LOGIN!
nant wrote:

Didn't look at the site but would like to comment on crash777 comments.
2. why not publish this as public?
3. the workflow module should definetely not be public but it can be registered.

other than that - I am really happy with the helping hand attitude everybody is demonstrating!

#2 - Online mod as public. I would prefer to not allow people to see who is online if they are just "guests".
#3 - It was my understanding that only admins could handle requests in this mod.. am I wrong? My reason for putting it as special is because I don't want public and I don't want the general registered user to see it (plus it just gives them an "error" anyway). My mods are all for the forum anyway so they get an email when they need to moderate that.. The admins do the CB administration...

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn