What does Community Builder Do?

18 years 2 months ago #3653 by feldon27
What does Community Builder Do? was created by feldon27
My Joomla site is missing 2 things. The most important is a section of the site where users can create their own pages. It doesn't really need to be integrated into the rest of the site, this area can be an 'island'.

The User Home Pages add-on for Joomla is severely crippled and not what I want. First of all, it only allows 1 page for each User. It's basically a Shoutpage and nothing else. Not quite what I need.

I need to have Sections and Categories of pages that each user has the privilege to edit. Each user can control 1 Section and all the Categories within it.

Community Builder looks to be way more powerful than I need but I've found nothing that bridges the gap. I can't wait 9-12 months for Joomla to get full ACL.

Any ideas?

P.S. The other thing my site is missing is a Product Catalog. Zencart is too much of a shopping card. mtLinks is closer, but I'm still on the fence about writing something from scratch. But looking at the complexity of even the simplest of Joomla components makes me cringe. :(

P.P.S. Thanks for making a great tool like CB available to the Joomla community.

Post edited by: feldon27, at: 2006/01/13 00:43

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #3742 by feldon27
Replied by feldon27 on topic Re:What does Community Builder Do?
bumpity...bump...bump...

I see a lot about advanced user registration, user profiles, etc. but not much about what users can do. I'm sure CB is great at what it does, but does it do what I want? And if not, what does?

Post edited by: feldon27, at: 2006/01/13 19:24

18 years 2 months ago #3746 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:What does Community Builder Do?
Hey Feldon -- B)

Well, you're on the website -- check out the user menu to the left, along with your profile, et al. These are the things CB does -- you might want to check out the manual, available in the downloads section.

Really, CB is about building communities, it provides an API for developers to make or update components to take advantage of greater control of information, the database (for the end user), and interaction.

Why not install the component and see what it does? The process is really easy and it uninstalls cleanly.

Is this sufficient?

18 years 2 months ago #3747 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:What does Community Builder Do?
Oh, by the way, you might want to consider the "User Home Pages" component that is on Joomlaforge.

It does what you want "on an island".

But I still suggest trying out CB -- like me, you'll discover there are things that you "need"!

B)

Dan

18 years 2 months ago #3748 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:What does Community Builder Do?
It looks like the primary thing that you need is the user pages thing and CB does not do that. It is kind of hard to discribe it in simple terms so I will just pull the discription from the FAQ's on this site.

Difficult to really produce a concise definition, but its all of the following:

• A Joomla/Mambo component and 3 collaborating core modules
    An environment for producing and maintaining online communities on Joomla/Mambo driven sites
  • A system that provides user profile capabilities for Joomla/Mambo sites
  • A different registration/login process for Joomla/Mambo sites (supports 4 different workflows)
  • An environment that enables Mambo/Joomla site administrators to create user profiles that capture extra information from users (with the creation of new fields) that can be presented and organized in tabs (again defined by the administrator)
  • A framework for other Joomla/Mambo components to integrate with user profiles

• I could really go on ... but I think you are starting to get the picture. You can see alot of the Community Builder capabilities by visiting your own profile one this site!

There is a whole lot more but suffice it to say it is very powerfull in what it does but I don't believe it will do exactly what you are trying to do.

Post edited by: rick, at: 2006/01/13 19:59

Rick

Running:
    Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
    Community Builder 1.0 rc2
    SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 2 months ago #3750 by feldon27
    Replied by feldon27 on topic Re:What does Community Builder Do?
    I installed User Home Pages.

It is not valid for anything but a user posting a couple of paragraphs about him- or herself. It does not allow a user to create multiple pages (mospagebreak doesn't work) or a menu of any sort.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
    Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn