minimum columns for import?

13 years 3 weeks ago #155907 by ThePiston
minimum columns for import? was created by ThePiston
If I don't want to risk damaging any of the 100 columns I have, what are the minimum columns I can import and still get CBjuice to import? username and email + my other edited columns?

CB 2.3, CBsubs 4.3, PHP 7.1, J! 3.9.X

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 weeks ago #155910 by jciconsult
Replied by jciconsult on topic Re: minimum columns for import?
Essentially, you need the column you are keying on (usually username) and whatever else you are changing. I always edit the minimum number of columns. It keeps life simpler. I usually leave the name fields in for reasons of documentation and the email.

13 years 3 weeks ago #155911 by ThePiston
Replied by ThePiston on topic Re: minimum columns for import?
ok, so if I need to edit just one column, I download the CSV, delete all columns except the one I'm editing and the username. Then I retain the field title in the top row and then import. Correct?

13 years 3 weeks ago #155948 by jciconsult
That is the general approach. There may be an issue about having the name fields there. I recently fixed an issue so that usertype was not required.

13 years 3 weeks ago #155965 by jciconsult
Just to make sure that no bugs had come in, I ran a simple test updating just city and that worked fine. I tend to keep the username fields in for documentation purposes and almost never update the password.

13 years 3 weeks ago #155971 by ThePiston
Replied by ThePiston on topic Re: minimum columns for import?
kind of a lot more work, but it might be beneficial to add a page where all of the fields which can be exported are listed as checkboxes. The username would be grayed out since it's required. the user then checks which fields he'd like to download. I think most people use CBjuice to edit fields - at least I do. That'd go along way to reduce errors in formatting. I accidentally rehashed all of my passwords last week and this week all of my dates were reformatted. All I needed to do was change one field though. was kind of a nightmare and made me look bad to my client. Not your fault though. Just a suggestion.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn