Custom URL Fields

13 years 6 months ago #144163 by cleothemuse
Custom URL Fields was created by cleothemuse
I run a community site for authors and artists, and I would love to create custom URL fields for their profiles to lead off to their accounts on Blogger, LiveJournal, deviantArt, Twitter, etc.

What I would like to see is a new field type which allows me to create a URL template/expression that is then used to wrap the user's input in a link using that expression.

Say on the back end I create a field called "deviantArt", and build the template for it as

[code:1]http://{input}.deviantart.com/[/code:1]

When editing his profile, John sees the dA field, and enters his username for that site, "johndoe123". After saving, his profile page (or contact info tab, or custom tab) shows "deviantArt: johndoe123" with his name linked to

[code:1]johndoe123.deviantart.com/[/code:1]

Optionally, the administrator could also upload a thumbnail image to be displayed alongside the field name.

There's already a plug-in out there which does something similar to this (CB Social Networks), but it's clunky and not very customizable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #144472 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Custom URL Fields
Just use a delimiter field to display the field. Then you can do exactly that with substitutions. More on substitution usage can be found within my signature. No new fieldtype necessary. You'd have 1 field such as text or integer to store the input then 1 field a delimiter to format display it.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn