GJ Email Invites problem

12 years 2 months ago #188227 by dwaine
GJ Email Invites problem was created by dwaine
I have installed GJ 2.4 on Joomla 1.7.2, CB 1.7.1, CB Subs 1.2.2. When I set up a member group, and have that member invite another member, the system says it sent the invite and when the email shows up, clicking on the link gives a 404 error (see 3 attached screen shots). I saw somewhere in this forum that it was suggested to set the notify mode to email only. I did that...no luck. From looking over this forum it looks like GJ is a little buggy in this area, but that 2.5 should fix it?? Is there a temporary hack (I hope) that I can use in anticipation of 2.5?

Thanks as always for your help
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #188230 by jojo12
Replied by jojo12 on topic Re: GJ Email Invites problem
only a quick answer from a user.
I think I had (have) the same problem.
But the problem in gj2.4 is, that the invited person who is not yet logged in, gets this error. So I added text in the email, that user has first to login before he can join the group. Perhaps this helps meanwhile.

12 years 2 months ago #188271 by dwaine
Replied by dwaine on topic Re: GJ Email Invites problem
jojo 12,

Thank you for the pointer. It seemed to work!

But it is going to be tricky to get the member to log into the site before clicking on the email link. I think Joomlapolis should address this... and the crew there have always been responsive and helpful with things like this. I would like to see a response directly from them though, to know that they are working on this.

12 years 2 months ago #188307 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: GJ Email Invites problem

dwaine wrote: jojo 12,

Thank you for the pointer. It seemed to work!

But it is going to be tricky to get the member to log into the site before clicking on the email link. I think Joomlapolis should address this... and the crew there have always been responsive and helpful with things like this. I would like to see a response directly from them though, to know that they are working on this.

I do not think there is a work-around here.

GroupJive is for website users, not for guests.
So login is needed.
Perhaps you can have remember me option of CB Login module automatically selected. This way cookie is present and login will be automatic.

12 years 2 months ago #188358 by dwaine
Replied by dwaine on topic Re: GJ Email Invites problem
Nant

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, you guys are always helpful. I will try it.

I do understand that GroupJive is for members not guests, but isn't the whole idea of GJ to get new members by inviting them? And even registered members may not be logged in all the time they are on their computer and receiving email. When I receive an email, from a trusted source, that has a link I am interested in, I would probably click on it immediately.

My real concern is the 404 error I mention below. But this may be caused by me and the way I set GJ up.

Is the 404 error I mentioned below the way GJ always responds, or is this something that I caused because I didn't set things up correctly? For a beautiful and professional system like GJ, a message like "you must register and be logged in to join" would seem to be more appropriate than a 404 error, right?

Thanks for creating GJ and all the other very useful extensions.

Dwaine
Attachments:

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #188373 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: GJ Email Invites problem
That shouldn't be the case. Did you delete the category after sending an invite? Does it work fine with SEF disabled? There's code in place (triple checked source) that if a user uses a join link and isn't logged in it sends them to CBs login page with the message "Login or Register to join Groups." otherwise they should get a "Not Authorized" message, but never a 404 error; that implies the URL doesn't even exist, which isn't the case at all.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn