uddeIM 0.5

18 years 2 months ago #3096 by saimen
Replied by saimen on topic Re:uddeIM 0.5
Hello!

Nice to hear good news about uddeIM!

I have 2 little questions about it:
1. At the moment, I'm using MyPMS OpenSource. How do I change to uddeIM 0.5 without loosing any data? I wasn't able to find a guideline about this...
2. When I do change from MyPMS OpenSource to uddeIM 0.5: What settings do I have to change in CB that it works with uddeIM instead of MyPMS?

I would be very glad if someone could share his/her own experience with me :)

Thanks,
saimen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #3104 by benjamin
Replied by benjamin on topic Re:uddeIM 0.5
Hello

saimen wrote:

At the moment, I'm using MyPMS OpenSource. How do I change to uddeIM 0.5 without loosing any data? I wasn't able to find a guideline about this...

In the uddeIM administration, just click on "Import messages from myPMS now" on the Import tab

When I do change from MyPMS OpenSource to uddeIM 0.5: What settings do I have to change in CB that it works with uddeIM instead of MyPMS?

In the pms plugin from CB, just choose uddeIM instead of myPMS OS. Alternatively, you can install the cbpms plugin that came with udde.

I hope that helps!

18 years 2 months ago #3141 by balous
Replied by balous on topic Re:uddeIM 0.5
Has there been any thought to a better way to view the users on the compose part of the component. Its fine now but once a site gets around 100,000 or more members then the pulldown becomes a little troublesome for the database and the users. I wonder if there is a way to implement AJAX the same way that Google Beta has it, where once you start typing in the name a list of names come up, but only the names that start with the letters that you typed in.

Post edited by: balous, at: 2006/01/04 05:08

18 years 2 months ago #3157 by benjamin
Replied by benjamin on topic Re:uddeIM 0.5
Hi balous,

thanks for the feedback.

balous wrote:

Has there been any thought to a better way to view the users on the compose part of the component. Its fine now but once a site gets around 100,000 or more members then the pulldown becomes a little troublesome for the database and the users.

for uddeIM I have put a lot of thought in exactly this problem, that's why I came up with the solution now implemented. To save database access and to keep HTML code small and thus speed up the whole procedure, no list is loaded unless the user explicitly requests it. It is only loaded when someone clicks on "Show users".

Only around 10% of messages are composed using the empty compose page anyway, and in most of these cases users know the name of the person they want to send the message to. In the very few other cases, they can click "show users". In addition, all CB connections are displayed as direct links.

The vast majority of messages are written by replying or by using a "send a message to user" link on profile or who's online lists. I suspect that the new RC2 quick message functionality will become one of the most used ways to write a PM.

I wonder if there is a way to implement AJAX the same way that Google Beta has it, where once you start typing in the name a list of names come up, but only the names that start with the letters that you typed in.

Of course there is. But it would not solve the problem.

Because if you do not know the (user)name of the recipient, you can't "start typing", so you will have to add an option to display a full list anyway. And that's exactly how uddeIM is designed right now.

Using ajax would slown down the whole process a lot as it would load a list for "b", for "ba", for "bal" until the user has typed enough letters to access your username "balous".

But I agree with you: With 100'000 members, no list is really handy. Users would have to use a search function and try to find the recipient according to various criteria (not only the name, but also location or age or sex or interests). This is done by comprofiler's user lists, and if you have Quick Message enabled, you can send the message directly from the profile.

Ajax is very good for many uses, especially new message notifications - but I don't believe that it would help a lot here.

18 years 2 months ago #3166 by Almgren
Replied by Almgren on topic Re:uddeIM 0.5
I have a problem with "Show limit usage at inbox". The setting is shown as neither yes or no. And when I save it nothing happens.

Christian Almgren

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds