uddeim.css vs uddeim-ie.css

18 years 2 months ago #4530 by Pubocyno
uddeim.css vs uddeim-ie.css was created by Pubocyno
Any particular reason why the css for MSIE is duplicated? Wouldn't it be cleaner to just add the ie-additions in a css file which is loaded in addition to the uddeim.css?

That said, I fail to see the exact need to have bugfixes for IE seperate from the css for Firefox/Opera etc. Off hand, I can't think of an example where Gecko renders IE code badly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #4531 by benjamin
Replied by benjamin on topic Re:uddeim.css vs uddeim-ie.css
Pubocyno wrote:

Any particular reason why the css for MSIE is duplicated? Wouldn't it be cleaner to just add the ie-additions in a css file which is loaded in addition to the uddeim.css?

That would mean that you overwrite code written for Firefox. This is of course possible as the browser uses the last statement it can find. From my experience, you run into problems sometimes if you have conflicting statements.

The files are not called twice, of course. Uddeim calls either uddeim.css or uddeim-ie.css, depending on the browser.

That said, I fail to see the exact need to have bugfixes for IE seperate from the css for Firefox/Opera etc.

You've got a point here.

I can't think of an example where Gecko renders IE code badly.

Neither do I, but I am in no way a CSS expert. However I can think of designers that want to make the design more appealing at least for Firefox users. (So does the template used on this site, for example, in the rounded corners in message display, which are only available for Gecko users.)

But if you prefer to have one CSS code for all users, then just have only a uddeim.css in the template's css directory. That will make all browsers use it. There is absolutely no need to have a uddeim-ie.css file lying around - it's just an option.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn