[SOLVED] Without CBSubs: Usergroup Problem

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #200498 by IBeRKa
Ahoy!

Maybe I'm just stupid, so forgive me if i have overseen something in a documentatino the forum search results.

Joomla! 2.5.4
CB: 1.8
NO(!) CBSubs

Step by step (I hope detailed enough)
  1. In Joomla!'s backend, I added a new usergroup "registered not without ads" as a child of Usergroup "Public".
  2. In Joomla!'s backend, I assign a this new usergroup "registered not without ads" to access level "registered" (as well as I did with usergroups "Manager" and "SuperUser").
  3. In Joomla!'s backend, I changed Joomla!'s own user configuration to assign all new users to this new usergroup "registered not without ads".
  4. In Joomla!'s backend, I added a new User and it is assigned to this new usergroup "registered not without ads".
  5. If I try to login with this account in Joomla!'s frontend, it show 2 messages: 1 in red saying "no access on privat documents/site" (msg is german actually) and the other onee in green "You have successfulle logged in" (in english, btw). Actually, I am NOT(!) logged in.
  6. If I change this account's usergroup manually in Joomla's backend back to "registered", I can logon with it just fine.
  7. Sometimes, I hate computers. Honestly.
Any idea what I did do wrong or not at all?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards, Me

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #200505 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Without CBSubs: Usergroup Problem
New parents of Public don't have any form of hierarchy. Meaning CB and even Joomla it self doesn't know what to do with it and its default permissions are to deny access. You'll need to go throughout Joomla and click "Options" to adjust permissions for the usergroup. The main permissions can be adjusted from Users > User Groups > Options > Permissions. It's best to go to Users > User Groups and click "Debug Permissions Report" so you can see exactly what permissions that usergroup has. Another simply solution is to make your new group a child usergroup of Registered rather then a new parent usergroup.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IBeRKa

11 years 11 months ago #200538 by IBeRKa
Replied by IBeRKa on topic Re: Without CBSubs: Usergroup Problem

krileon wrote: New parents of Public don't have any form of hierarchy. Meaning CB and even Joomla it self doesn't know what to do with it and its default permissions are to deny access.

I know. this is why I made my usergroup a CHILD of usergroup "public" - not(!) a parent of it. With this it's a sibling of the normal "registered".

krileon wrote: You'll need to go throughout Joomla and click "Options" to adjust permissions for the usergroup. The main permissions can be adjusted from Users > User Groups > Options > Permissions.

Ummm ... call me dumbass, but ... I don't get this one.
I thought the permssions in "options" adjusts the rights for user groups to access the component you're just about to work on.
So "Users > User Groups > Options > Permissions" would change nothing but the access on the "User" component, isn't it?
Beside this, both usergroups - native "registered" and it's sibling, my new one - have identical settings there: saying "inherit" and (calculated) "not allowed" which seems to be right there. Isn't it?

krileon wrote: It's best to go to Users > User Groups and click "Debug Permissions Report" so you can see exactly what permissions that usergroup has.

After figuring out how this works, I did check both groups and can confirm: the original group "registered" has at least "Login Site" allowed (green) and the other one, the now one I created, doen't even have this (everything yellow / "not allowed".
But why? :blink:

krileon wrote: Another simply solution is to make your new group a child usergroup of Registered rather then a new parent usergroup.

Wouldn't work for the intended purpose: two usergroups for registered users, one seeing all to see all the nice advertisings and the other one got rid of it.

Would be glad if you'd continued helping me .. :S

Kind Regards, Me

11 years 11 months ago #200544 by IBeRKa
For new user groups, I have to allow site login in Joomla's global configuration.
For new user groups, I have to allow site login in Joomla's global configuration.

Thanks for bringing me on the right track.

Kind regards, Me

11 years 11 months ago #200545 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Without CBSubs: Usergroup Problem

I know. this is why I made my usergroup a CHILD of usergroup "public" - not(!) a parent of it. With this it's a sibling of the normal "registered".

That won't matter. You're creating a new usergroup that has zero permissions set. It'll inherit the permissions of Public, which is basically access to nothing. If it were a child of Registered it'd inherit all of Registered permissions (plus more or less depending on how you configure that new usergroups permissions).

I thought the permssions in "options" adjusts the rights for user groups to access the component you're just about to work on.

Correct.

So "Users > User Groups > Options > Permissions" would change nothing but the access on the "User" component, isn't it?

Yes, but CB inherits Joomlas User permissions.

Beside this, both usergroups - native "registered" and it's sibling, my new one - have identical settings there: saying "inherit" and (calculated) "not allowed" which seems to be right there. Isn't it?

My mistake; I gave you the wrong location. You'll need to see Site > Global Configuration > Permissions. From there you need to configure your new usergroup and set "Site Login" to "Allowed". The rest can remain inherited and not allowed. This should allow your new usergroup to login.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IBeRKa

11 years 11 months ago #200549 by IBeRKa
Awwww, thanks again - just found it out on my own. Thanks for your patience with me :-)

Kind regards, Me

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn