Field Validation During Registration

11 years 2 months ago #221144 by bcardone
Field Validation During Registration was created by bcardone
Hello,

I am creating a registration form where some fields need to be validated before the user can register. For example, a user has to type in a conference ID for their account, once they do we need to check that no other user has that ID. I was trying to use Auto Action to make this happen, but I do not know if there is a trigger to use after someone fills out a field in the registration process.

Thanks for your help.

joomla 2.5.4
CB 1.9
CB Subs 3.0

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #221183 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Field Validation During Registration
I suggest using The CB Database Lookup field as it does exactly what you're wanting for Conference ID. It basically takes the value the user supplied and check it against a database table you supply to see if it was used or not. CB Auto Actions can't do field validation very well; at best you could load jQuery on registration to try validating somewhat.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 2 months ago #221246 by bcardone
Replied by bcardone on topic Field Validation During Registration
Thanks for the quick reply. I found DB Lookup and have installed it to see if that will work. I am not well versed in SQL, but it seems like it may be a solution. Our preferred solution would be to have a button inserted into the form that a user clicks to validate ID with our App server and returns a proceed or try again message.

Is it possible to insert a button in the registration form that could run a validation script on a field within the registration form? Is so, what would I use to insert the button (field delimiter?).

Thanks again for the support and a great product.

11 years 2 months ago #221266 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Field Validation During Registration

Is it possible to insert a button in the registration form that could run a validation script on a field within the registration form? Is so, what would I use to insert the button (field delimiter?)

Yes, but you're going to have to develop your own fieldtype plugin that utilizes the ajax response feature built into fields to send the value for validation.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn