[SOLVED] Frontend Login does not work in IE on Windows 10

7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #289027 by bcraigie
This is a strange one. Logging in to the frontend on my Joomla 3.6.5 site in Internet Explorer on Windows 10 as a normal user just returns back to the same page again without logging me in, and with no errors. One of my users reported this and it happens for me too.

All the other browsers (Edge, Firefox, Safari) log in just fine.

Are there any known issues with Internet Explorer on Windows 10 and Joomla with Community Builder 2.0.15?

Any ideas where to start debugging this?

Thanks

Brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago #289038 by krileon
There is no Internet Explorer for Windows 10. The new IE on Windows 10 is Edge. Am unable to confirm your issue. This is almost always a cross-domain problem. If they login on your domain without www, but you've a login redirect specified with www then after it redirects they won't login as www is part of the domain and Joomla cookie for session tracking is domain specific. Ensure all redirects are non-SEF and begin with index.php. Next ensure live_site within configuration.php is set to '' (empty). You shouldn't have any further issues on a standard install unless you've htaccess redirects or some sort of 3rd party redirect/URL rewrite extension in use.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #289088 by bcraigie
Thank you Kyle. There indeed still exists Internet Explorer in Windows 10 (see attached screenshot of the Help About in Internet Explorer).

It is distinct from the new Edge. In fact, in Edge, you can visit a website, then click on the menu (...) and choose "Open with Internet Explorer" if you cannot find IE directly.

Your suggestion to change the Live_site to "" has fixed the problem. :-) The Live_site setting must have been a remnant from the development site.

Thank you !

Warmest regards,

Brian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #289097 by krileon
IE11 is for Windows 7. Working on Windows 10 via compatibility API layers doesn't really mean it's for Windows 10. I'm honestly not sure how or why windows even allows it to remain installed with Edge preset as during Windows 10 install it should've removed it.

Edit: I stand corrected. Sure enough it does exist as a menu option to swap to IE11. That's pretty odd.

Edit: Did some more digging. It's available to the Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows in order to support applications or internal sites for businesses still dependent on old IE usages. Guess that makes sense, lol.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bcraigie

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn