CB 2.3.0 - working perfectly with Joomla! 3.8.13 ???

5 years 4 months ago #308600 by mikerotec
I am running Joomla! 3.8.13 and currently VERY RELUCTANT to upgrade to J3.9 ... considering the long litany of 3.9 upgrade horror stories currently showing on the Joomla.org forums.

I just wanted to confirm it should be 100% safe to upgrade our Joomla! 3.8.13 servers to CB 2.3.0. ( No known issues there?)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago #308609 by nant

mikerotec wrote: I am running Joomla! 3.8.13 and currently VERY RELUCTANT to upgrade to J3.9 ... considering the long litany of 3.9 upgrade horror stories currently showing on the Joomla.org forums.

I just wanted to confirm it should be 100% safe to upgrade our Joomla! 3.8.13 servers to CB 2.3.0. ( No known issues there?)

No known issues.

Our demo site has latest CB and Joomla 3.9.

But no one can confirm 100% safe for you as something that you might have installed or your server configuration or a million parameters can play.

Take backup, clone and test.

Never trust anyone - :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #308659 by mikerotec
And one related question - has CB 2.30 been tested on the current version of MySQL ? (now at 8.0.13)?

I've been finding that MySQL8 wreaks havoc with the Joomla4 alpha, (had to manually hack out some zero dates!) - as well as some beta "j4-ready" extensions I have been trying to test there...

5 years 4 months ago #308670 by krileon

And one related question - has CB 2.30 been tested on the current version of MySQL ? (now at 8.0.13)?

No we only test on versions web hosts are actually using (5.x basically) and are compatible with Joomla. I recommend 5.7 for JSON column support. There's a lot of quirks in MySQL 8.x that will break a lot of extensions and plugins. MySQL 5.7 won't be EOL until 2023 (5.6 EOL is 2021) so I doubt Joomla or anyone else is really pushing to be compatible right now given the migration issues and concerns about stability. I'm guessing Joomla won't be pushing for MySQL 8.x as that basically means no more MariaDB compatibility at all (even if it's unofficial at this time). I can't say for sure, but if Joomla implements official (we do not support unofficial usage) MySQL 8.x support then so will we.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #308684 by mikerotec
Thanks very much for that info! Gonna use MySQL5.7 as you suggest. :)

I have to upgrade our live server (MySQL 5.5.5) next month, and was looking forward to moving to MySQL8 (already did so on all of the DEV machines).

I am surprised that Joomla is so far behind (it has already been two years since MySQL 8 beta!) but what is really disturbing is that there is NO MENTION of any MSQL8 incompatibility on the official Joomla "requirements" page. It says there "recommended 5.5.3 + (minimum 5.1)".

MySQL8 is certainly "+" of 5.5.3!! It's like they still don't know that SQL8 went GA six months ago...

5 years 4 months ago #308704 by krileon
The GA for MySQL 8 was only 6-7 months ago. That isn't long enough for Joomla to implement compatibility. Once MySQL 8 has been out for at minimum a year it's worth considering as it should be at a more stable state. Even then if MySQL 8 compatibility is added it completely kills off the possibility of MariaDB support since MariaDB has no side-compatibility with MySQL 8.

Personally would rather see an official shift to MariaDB. MariaDB is open source and it's about time we decoupled our database from Oracle. Honestly doubt you'll see MySQL 8 support anytime soon if at all.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn